Help choosing feed for mix age flock.

Chokmasterph

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2024
Good day from the Philippines to everyone here. I would like to seek some assistance in choosing feed for my soon-to-be mixed-age flock. Hoping you can spare me some of your time and knowledge. I currently have 7 laying pullets and a pair of 1-year-old Serama (1 roo and 1 hen - also laying but almost always broody :rolleyes:). I have nine 2 week old chicks in the brooder who will be joining the flock in week 8. I am also thinking of hatching my chicks soon for meat, hence the need for mixed age feeding.

I've been doing some reading here and understand (kinda) that you can feed a flock with grower feeds with free choice oyster or an all flock feed, but from where I'm from we don't have flock raiser feed. I have 3 choices to choose from and would like to have your input on which is best to use. thanks!

CHOICE A (starter)
Guaranteed analysis:
Crude protein 21.50% min
Crude fiber 5% max
Crude fat 3% min
Calcium 0.9% min
Calcium 1.1% max
Phosphorous 0.55% min

CHOICE B (GROWER - crumble)
Guaranteed analysis:
Crude protein 19.50% min
Crude fiber 6% max
Crude fat 3% min
Calcium 0.9% min
Calcium 1.1% max
Phosphorous 0.55% min

CHOICE C (marketed as transition feed before the layer feed - micro pellets)
Guaranteed analysis:
Crude protein 17% min
Crude fiber 8% max
Crude fat 3% min
Calcium 0.75% min
Calcium 0.85% max
Phosphorous 0.55% min

I've been doing some reading here and understand (kinda) that you can feed a flock with grower feeds with free choice oyster or an all flock feed, but from where I'm from we don't have flock raiser feed. I have 3 choices to choose from and would like to have your input on which is best to use.
Hi, hope you're enjoying BYC! :frow

Flock raiser in our country (US) is usually around 20% protein and 1% calcium..

The grower (b) or starter (a) would both be fine choices.

Some starter feeds may be "medicated" and may therefore not be a first choice. If this is not an issue feed "A" would be my top choice.

If you prefer pellets.. then c would be your only option.. but would not be my first choice.. I've not previously seen calcium levels that low..

Crumbles or pellets will both wet into a mash.. and is sometimes enjoyed this way.. and also sometimes a good way to reduce waste.

x4. A or B.

When you start raising meat birds, they will almost certainly do better on A*. The cost difference between A and B, and the meat bird rate of growth on A or B, will determine which of the two is more cost effective for you as part of your management system.

Best way to tell would be to raise a set of meat birds on A and a set of meat birds on B, at the same time, with meat birds sourced from the same place. Divide them up randomly into two groups side by side, keep track of total feed consumed, total cost, combined finished weight, average it out.

CP is suggestive, but what I really want to know is the quality of the Amino Acid profile of that crude protein - which may, or may not, be published on feed bags in the Philippines. I don't know, but would like to.

Is this feed all they will eat or are you feeding them "treats" or possibly do they forage for some of their feed? I assume your mentioning "oyster" means you plan on offering oyster shell as a calcium supplement for your laying hens no matter what feed you decide to use. Chickens can usually decide how much extra calcium they need based on their needs. Your laying hens should eat a fair amount of oyster shell but the others will probably take some too.

If your chickens forage for much of their food you can't micromanage their diet. They will eat whatever they eat. They are usually pretty good at eating a balanced diet that keeps them healthy. The more protein they eat the faster and bigger they will grow and it will help them lay bigger eggs. That doesn't mean they are healthier, just bigger.

Is there much of a cost difference in those feeds? Sometimes the higher protein levels cost more but mass production can sometimes change that.

If yours forage for much of their food I don't see that much difference in which you feed them. Since you will be raising some for meat I'd lean toward the A or B if they don't forage a lot. You say you will be hatching your eggs for the meat birds. I assume that means dual purpose chickens, not Cornish Cross or other specialty meat breeds. I don't think you will see that much difference with the different feeds.

I raise mine for meat and to play with genetics but I feed them a 16% Grower with oyster shell on the side. Mine forage for a lot of their food. Would I get more meat and larger eggs if I fed a higher protein feed? Probably but I'm not sure it would be that noticeable as much as they forage. Mine are dual purpose breeds or crosses. And besides, there are only two of us. I can easily get two meals out of a small pullet so size isn't that high on my priority scale. A larger bird just means I get leftover chicken for lunch more often.

Some starter feeds may be "medicated" and may therefore not be a first choice. If this is not an issue feed "A" would be my top choice.
Hi thanks for the reply. What we have here is not medicated. I will go with the choice A. (called Bmeg Integra 1000 btw). thanks again.

x4. A or B.

When you start raising meat birds, they will almost certainly do better on A*. The cost difference between A and B, and the meat bird rate of growth on A or B, will determine which of the two is more cost-effective for you as part of your management system.
Hi thanks for the reply. I will try A for now. The cost is not much different. the A (called Integra 1000 costs $17.38 USD for a 25kg bag as compared to B called Integra 2000 which costs $18.25.
Best way to tell would be to raise a set of meat birds on A and a set of meat birds on B, at the same time, with meat birds sourced from the same place. Divide them up randomly into two groups side by side, keep track of total feed consumed, total cost, combined finished weight, average it out.
Ill try this out when I get to hatch my own chicks.
CP is suggestive, but what I really want to know is the quality of the Amino Acid profile of that crude protein - which may, or may not, be published on feed bags in the Philippines. I don't know, but would like to.
Unfortunately, they are not in the bag nor can I find any info regarding those details. Even other brands don't have these details. These are the only other info I could gather for the Integra 1000/2000.

Content​

Corn, cassava meal, feed wheat, soybean meal, full fat soya, fish meal, wheat pollard, rice bran, pork meal, distiller's dried grains solubles, meat and bone meal, crude coconut oil, palm olein, limestone, iodized salt, lysine sulfate, DL-methionine, L-lysine, L-threonine, probiotic, organic selenium, choline chloride, vitamin premix, mineral premix, phytase enzyme, protease enzyme, cellulase enzyme, xylanase enzyme, toxin binders, mold inhibitor, antioxidants.

Is this feed all they will eat or are you feeding them "treats" or possibly do they forage for some of their feed? I assume your mentioning "oyster" means you plan on offering oyster shell as a calcium supplement for your laying hens no matter what feed you decide to use. Chickens can usually decide how much extra calcium they need based on their needs. Your laying hens should eat a fair amount of oyster shell but the others will probably take some too.
Hi thanks for the reply. Yeah they will mostly eat just this commercial feed. as for treats I give them some kale/cabbage/lettuce cuttings once or twice a month. they also sometimes get some mulberry and "ripe" green mango that falls on the tree beside their run.

Is there much of a cost difference in those feeds? Sometimes the higher protein levels cost more but mass production can sometimes change that.

If yours forage for much of their food I don't see that much difference in which you feed them. Since you will be raising some for meat I'd lean toward the A or B if they don't forage a lot. You say you will be hatching your eggs for the meat birds. I assume that means dual purpose chickens, not Cornish Cross or other specialty meat breeds. I don't think you will see that much difference with the different feeds.

I raise mine for meat and to play with genetics but I feed them a 16% Grower with oyster shell on the side. Mine forage for a lot of their food. Would I get more meat and larger eggs if I fed a higher protein feed? Probably but I'm not sure it would be that noticeable as much as they forage. Mine are dual purpose breeds or crosses. And besides, there are only two of us. I can easily get two meals out of a small pullet so size isn't that high on my priority scale. A larger bird just means I get leftover chicken for lunch more often.
just almost a dollar difference so I might be going with A for now. thanks for sharing why you raise chickens too, its really interesting for me. I just raise so that we have eggs everyday and maybe get to process 8 - 10 birds for meat every 3 - 4 months if they grow fast enough. chicken prices here (the 45 day broiler kind) are increasing steeply. btw I'm raising a mix of barred Plymouth rocks, black australorps and light Sussex for eggs. as for meat Im raising what we call native chickens specifically, Darag which I think someone introduced in this forum. they just mature to 1kg - 1.3kg but Im not sure yet how fast - I think we lack enough literature for our native breeds or I just can't find them lol. there are also a trend where they are crossed with heritage roosters to be "upgraded" so that they grow faster and lay more eggs (they only lay 60 - 100 per year). so maybe I'll have to look into genetics in the future too.

well once again thank you. sorry if I'm rambling, Im just having so much fun in raising chickens right now.

Back
Top Bottom