HELP!!! d'Anver hen with really bloody egg hanging out

I JUST went through this. The only advice I got was to cull my girl. I'm glad I didn't and I'm glad Speckled Hen has been here responding to your posts.

I made the appt to have our girl processed then read more about treatment. We held off on the processing, separated her from the flock and I started each day with a warm sudsy bath for her soaking the feces that accumulated off her back side, on the first two days I applied honey (yes, honey from my food cabinet)and slid her innards back in, the second day the egg came out, unfortunately the egg duct kept coming back out too. Days 3-6 I I applied Preparation H. It's been quite a few weeks now. She is still away from the main flock, is laying successfully again and is my daughter's number one candidate for her Showmanship Chicken at the 4H fair. Before this episode, we could hardly handle her.

Ok, my dad really wants to cull her because he thinks I can't handle her. I'm glad your hen is back to normal, and I'll make him read your post. We've been wiping her off with a warm rag and stuffing everything back in, but I'll try the honey. Does it help hold it all together?

I feel so bad because my dad has to take care of her because I break down and start to cry every time. (Not a hysterical adult, I'm only 12, just saying.) That doesn't help the fact that he wants to get rid of her.

I showed him your post, hopefully that will convince him that she won't be a burden for the rest of her life...

[COLOR=blue[COLOR=blue]Awwww, honey, I feel your pain. And, I feel your Dad's pain as well. The pullet that's going through this at our home is actually my eight year old daughter's. She was told in no uncertain terms that laying hens that do not lay are to be processed, as are mean roosters, OR roosters that do not posess qualities that we wish to pass on to chicks. As you can imagine, there have been a LOT of tears. The only thing that saved this particular pullet is the fact that processing day at the Amish Farmer's house is only once per week and she started to recover before then. As the pullet is now demonstrating use as a bird to be used for showmanship, she has increased her worth again, I really did not expect her to lay again, and wonder how long she will live with this issue.

I think what helped our pullet the most was the warm baths, I was soaking her in an outside basin in sudsy water for as long as I could stand it. She did love it and even fell asleep the first time. I only used honey the first 2 days, I read that it would help tighten things up, I do not think it did. BUT it did loosen the egg. The preparation H for the next 4 days I think tightened everything up.

[/COLOR][/COLOR]

I'll get some prep H, I think that's what she needs is just to hold everything in.

She is acting soooo much better now. I'm going to take her outside a little today so she can get some fresh air and see her boyfriend.

This hen was really skittish before this too. Now, hopefully, she'll be a shoulder chicken! I'm glad that your daughter still has her pullet, and that she'll be able to show her.
smile.png

We also bought the 'off brand' at Walmart. My 13 yr old son was in a hurry to get out of the store so HE was the one asking store personnel, 'Hey, where's the preparation H?" I do NOT think he has any idea what it is used for usually, so I was cracking up.

How's your girl doing? Is everything staying inside yet?

She actually didn't make it through the night.. I noticed that she was kind of headed downhill last night and wasn't walking well. I think she just wasn't eating enough, all I got her to eat was a little scratch and a little soggy oatmeal. I think it was for the best though. I found her with her eyes closed, all tucked in and ready for bed. I think she just never woke up, and I'm glad she wasn't in pain. Oh, well we couldn't have really done anything else for her.

R.I.P. Amber
hit.gif

That is hilarious that your son didn't know what prep h is, that cheered me up a lot.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom