HELP!!! d'Anver hen with really bloody egg hanging out

MsBagawkbagawk

Songster
7 Years
I saw my d'Anver hen (22 weeks) standing alone, she didn't seem interested in the food I was throwing out so I went to check on her. She wouldn't let me pick her up, but I saw a bloody thing hanging from her vent. Half of an egg is showing and it has a light yellow thing on it (poop?) and there is a lot of blood around her vent. She won't let me catch her but can walk around, she is under our porch now. Any ideas what I can do or if she will get better? It looks like a really big egg for her, and is probably her first.

It's probably too large to pass and she is prolapsed. You must catch her if you're going to save her. Bring her inside and get her in a warm bath to calm her down, then try to ease the egg out carefully. If you have any veg oil or even KY lube stuff you can use on your fingers to ease around the egg, that will help it slip out. Then you dry her off, apply hemmorrhoid ointment, if you have any around, or vaseline if you dont, and try to push the prolapse back inside. She must not be in the coop or with other birds while that is out there.

Last edited:
I can't get her out from under the porch. Do you think she'll be okay for another 15-30 minutes? Nobody seems to be bothering her, as she still has her Faverolle hen protecting her. I'll try and get her when they come in to roost. I hope she's okay...
fl.gif

If it's bloody, they'll start picking at it and eventually, kill her. It's in their nature to do so.

I know, and I wouldn't trust any other hens with her, but these girls have seen all of my bantams through thick and thin. I don't think they'll really bother her too much anyways since it is dark as hell under there.

Do you have a long pole like a piece of PVC pipe you could coax her out with? I can't see leaving her under there overnight with a prolapse. If the tissue dries out on the outside of her like that, you may not be able to save her at all.

I went to bed after my last post, sorry. I'd keep her inside in low light, feed her extra protein, maybe some vitamins (like liquid baby PolyViSol without iron) and let her rest for a couple of days. Hopefully, the prolapse will stay in.

I have a bantam Cochin who has been egg bound and prolapsed a couple of times, though not as badly as your hen, and when you keep coaxing it back in, it eventually should stay. The tissue is probably just really stretched out.

Back
Top Bottom