Help day 18 and air sacs are small...

I'm hatching guinea bired eggs been doing this for 2 years but i have a batch that has an air pocket both ends of egg does anyone no why this would be

I am day 17 and my air cells are very small too. I have a still air...been keeping it on the lower side for temp and humidity ...with temp between 100 and 102 (it cycles up and down) humidity between 35 and 40%. Hoping they are just running a little slow. Was going to do lockdown tomorrow but keep humidity down an extra day. The eggs under hen were at 44% humidity (I put a sensor under her) LOL and they look perfect...even hatching a day early :). So much easier with a hen!

I need to remember to not do eggs in incubator...too much stress. Hoping they hatch. I see movement in all of them still.

I measured the weight...only about a 9% loss in weight when the optimum is 13%

Last edited:
I am day 17 and my air cells are very small too. I have a still air...been keeping it on the lower side for temp and humidity ...with temp between 100 and 102 (it cycles up and down) humidity between 35 and 40%. Hoping they are just running a little slow. Was going to do lockdown tomorrow but keep humidity down an extra day. The eggs under hen were at 44% humidity (I put a sensor under her) LOL and they look perfect...even hatching a day early :). So much easier with a hen!

I need to remember to not do eggs in incubator...too much stress. Hoping they hatch. I see movement in all of them still.

I measured the weight...only about a 9% loss in weight when the optimum is 13%

So what happened with your hatch Kathie?

So what happened with your hatch Kathie?

I am very happy to report that 33 of 35 hatched!!! I calmed down after I looked at pictures from my hatch last year and saw that the air cells were even smaller and I got 100% hatch when I didn't know to worry. I am hatching silkies and I see a huge difference between the air calls under the hen v. Incubator. The most amazing part of this hatch was I had 12 shipped eggs that had very bad air cells.... Some saddled and some loose. I followed all the advice I found on BYC and all 12 of those hatched! My second batch of shipped eggs that looked fairly good....of 18....3 didn't make it to lockdown , 1 died around day 19 and one died internally pipped. I think that one might have drowned. The rest of the eggs were mine...and they all hatched.

I think keeping the humidity low for day 18 and 19 helped. One pipped on day 20 so I had to keep humidity up from then on. I am doing the salt test on my hygrometer to see if it is accurate.....for next time!

Back
Top Bottom