HELP - dead chicks??

Also noticed brooder box is very small and doesn't look like they have much room to get away from heat. They need a spot at the 90-95 mark but also need an area much cooler, if the whole brooder is 95 degrees it can be a problem.
Would all the chicks be responding poorly then? Where is it possible to have it be too warm and only a couple of the chicks respond to poorly? I’ll go double check the temps are usually put them in a large storage tote. I just hadn’t gotten it from the basement yet.this box isn’t much smaller than the storage tote… The storage tote we usually do in the last four years is only a few inches longer and we’ve never lost a check? But I’ll definitely check the temps.

The storage tote we usually do in the last four years is only a few inches longer
If the tote isn't much bigger than that little box, then I would find a bigger box. They do need the 90-95 area, but they also need a much cooler area. Thats a 250-watt heat bulb they put out a tremendous amount of heat especially indoors. Very hard to get a small area heated to correct temp and still have a cool area in that small of an area. Hope that makes sense to you.

If the tote isn't much bigger than that little box, then I would find a bigger box. They do need the 90-95 area, but they also need a much cooler area. Thats a 250-watt heat bulb they put out a tremendous amount of heat especially indoors. Very hard to get a small area heated to correct temp and still have a cool area in that small of an area. Hope that makes sense to you.
Yes - makes sense. We’ve had this same set up for the last few years (the light bulb is hung higher up on the wall, so it doesn’t get hotter in the brooder than 95). My question is - if it IS the heat, why did it only kill two of them? Is it possible to have some chicks be more sensitive than others?

My question is - if it IS the heat, why did it only kill two of them? Is it possible to have some chicks be more sensitive than others?
The amount of stress affects everyone differently and some don't like as much heat and may affect them more than others. A few may have been more stressed from the beginning making them less able to handle any more stress.

Back
Top Bottom