HELP - dead chicks??

It’s this bulb - I bought it at IFA when I got the chicks. We needed a new one bc our bulb broke last year.
Are you using a new heat lamp? If so make certain that it is not Teflon coated.
Does the lamp say safety coated?

https://www.satco.com/s4998.html
This looks like the same bulb as your photo (matches brand & product number), and I do not see anything about it having a coating of any kind.

So the bulb is probably not the cause of the trouble.

(Teflon coating can give off fumes that kill chicks and other birds, so ruling that out is a good idea.)

We brought home two salmon favarolles, a red blue laced Wyandotte and a lavender Orpington for our spring brood this year.

I’ve set them up the same way we have for all our spring chicks the last 4 years.

Temp in the brooder is 90-95.

When I checked on them last night, they were all snuggled up and sleeping just fine.

One of the salmon favarolles had been a bit sleepy yesterday, but I figured she’d perk up after a day of rest after coming home.

I woke up this morning to two dead chicks 😭 the listless salmon favarolle and the BLW.

The lavender Orpington is busy and cheeping and running around, but the second favarolle is now listless as well.

HELP!! I tried feeding the favarolle egg yolk, but she isn’t having it 😩

The listless/passed away favarolle had a very small amount of green poop on her bum, I noticed this morning when I removed her.

What happened??! I’ve never lost a chick and I am so, so sad. Wanting to keep the other two healthy. Help!!
Hey, did you get these birds at Rural King? I just had 4/6 of my new chicks die in the span of a day…. The last two are alright, but wondering if this is a supply problem.

Hey, did you get these birds at Rural King? I just had 4/6 of my new chicks die in the span of a day…. The last two are alright, but wondering if this is a supply problem.
If you read through the thread you would know the OP got the chicks from IFA, a farmers co-op.

I didn’t. I got them at IFA? They said they had just gotten them in that day - and the BLW brooder was unheated (I was there when they noticed and called to get the lights on 🥴). I’m so sorry for your loss 💔

Back
Top Bottom