Help! Diarrhea and acting odd

That's pretty much exactly what mine looks like. And for an update I checked on them this morning and my "sick" one seems to be acting a little better and eating more, but the poop is still the same. :(

I would strongly suggest that both of you buy a digital kitchen scale and start weighing your birds. That way you'll know if they're getting worse or better.

-Kathy

I use a digital fishing scale to weigh the chicken in a bucket, then subtract the weight of the bucket. She was over 5lbs when I got her and Sunday she was 3.9. I will weigh her again tonight.
Definitely not normal... Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy
If I need to then that's what I will do. The poop seems to be less watery after 3 days of corid but it was still not a solid poo. I started her again on .9ml of safeguard this morning. If I don't notice any change by Saturday I could take her in.

Last edited:
I use a digital fishing scale to weigh the chicken in a bucket, then subtract the weight of the bucket. She was over 5lbs when I got her and Sunday she was 3.9. I will weigh her again tonight.
Quote: 5 pounds (2268 grams) to 3.9 pounds (1724 grams) is a pretty big loss.

-Kathy

@Kelli Michele , your hen should probably weight about 6 pounds by now. @11mini , I don't think you mentioned the age or breed of your hen, or did you?

-Kathy

That's what alerted me to the problem, I had not picked her up in a while and when I did she was noticeably lighter. She is also in the process of molting, most of her new feathers are about 1" long. I was feeding her layer pellets but switched to flock raiser since only one of three was laying. I have oyster shell and grit available in separate dispensers. I did introduce a new bird to replace a mis-identified rooster but now that I think about it she has had runny poop since before that. I was not able to completely quarantine the new bird but I did divide the run and gave the new bird her own space, mostly to avoid any over pecking or injury. It was exposed to the other two and I put them all on the roost at night.

@Kelli Michele , your hen should probably weight about 6 pounds by now. @11mini , I don't think you mentioned the age or breed of your hen, or did you?

-Kathy
She is a Gold Comet, and as far as I know she is about 9 months old - I got her mid-July and she laid an egg a week later. Maybe she is older and it was just stress/shock and had already been laying?

Back
Top Bottom