Help! Did I Buy Dud Hens??

I will switch the feed and see if it helps. We added oyster shell this morning & some organic mixed veggies.

I turned them out to see if it would make a difference.

They get meal worms daily. Usually about 2 each. I just ordered a big shipment of super worms.

I also have some quinoa. I don't know if it should be cooked first?

Though I'm new at this too I've been told by a friend who has had chickens all their lives to check their legs and feet. If they are smooth and don't seem rough they tend to be younger hens, the rougher the legs and more scaley they look the older the hens are. They could be just reaching maturity meaning they likely won't be laying yet, even the stress of the move could affect them laying

Thanks! I will check it out. It is looking like they are old. We will have to try a different seller at the swap tomorrow.

I will switch the feed and see if it helps. We added oyster shell this morning & some organic mixed veggies.

I turned them out to see if it would make a difference.

They get meal worms daily. Usually about 2 each. I just ordered a big shipment of super worms.

I also have some quinoa. I don't know if it should be cooked first?

Focus on protein. Greek yogurt. Meat scraps. Scrambled eggs. What you're listing isn't adding protein, it's diluting it. If they are older, and molting, they need the protein to regrow feathers.

Skip the grains and veggies and get them on protein packed treats until they shape up a bit. Once production is back on track and the molting is over you can add the other stuff back in, but for now, carbs aren't their friend. The goal should be 18-20% protein.

Thanks! I will check it out. It is looking like they are old. We will have to try a different seller at the swap tomorrow.
While you have been given good advice by many...

Please pay special attention to what @aart has shared with you!!! It is thorough and solid.
smile.png

@SigningChickens I have to admit, it would be more fun to see chickens signing (language) than singing....
tongue.png

Just wanted to add that I have had A LOT of toe injuries using the half and quarter inch hardware cloth for fencing. Those are not likely fighting injuries on your girls' toes. Especially considering that although hens can be quite brutal, It's the boys that have the fight mentality, hormones, and probably spurs. It would take one hell of a hen to be in that environment and though not impossible, definitely IMHO improbable.
smile.png

Also, I am considering selling my hens before they go into molt next year. Haven't decided it yet. But financially it MIGHT make the most sense. However if I do, I will disclose it. Which I believe you WERE disclosed age.... but didn't have the understanding (unfortunately) that molting is what happens at that age. I will do it earlier in the season probably so new owners could get some eggs. But as many told you, moves and integration to a new flock/environment is difficult for chickens which are creatures of habit who lay at the same place every time. It would probably take any of us a while to get back to being ourselves. Some of us more than others as we are ALL individuals.

Hope your adventure unfolds happily!

Bringing in more birds may only add to your problems....stress of integration, not to mention the biological risks.

Consider biological/medical quarantine:
BYC Medical Quarantine Article
Poultry Biosecurity
BYC 'medical quarantine' search

Read up on integration.....  BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Thanks! I will read the links now. We have 46 acres and the new chickens are in another barn quite a distance away.

@SigningChickens
 I have to admit, it would be more fun to see chickens signing (language) than singing.... :p

Just wanted to add that I have had A LOT of toe injuries using the half and quarter inch hardware cloth for fencing. Those are not likely fighting injuries on your girls' toes. Especially considering that although hens can be quite  brutal, It's the boys that have the fight mentality, hormones, and probably spurs. It would take one hell of a hen to be in that environment and though not impossible, definitely IMHO improbable. :)

Also, I am considering selling my hens before they go into molt next year. Haven't decided it yet. But financially it MIGHT make the most sense. However if I do, I will disclose it. Which I believe you WERE disclosed age.... but didn't have the understanding (unfortunately) that molting is what happens at that age. I will do it earlier in the season probably so new owners could get some eggs. But as many told you, moves and integration to a new flock/environment is difficult for chickens which are creatures of habit who lay at the same place every time. It would probably take any of us a while to get back to being ourselves. Some of us more than others as we are ALL individuals.

Hope your adventure unfolds happily!

I wasn't disclosed age. The man we bought them from didn't speak any English so I had a hard time communicating,

Today when we went back to the swap he wasn't there but we got names and numbers this time. I asked a lot more questions and felt we got two hens today who will lay for us when they are comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom