Molting or Sickly?

chickentowns

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2023
Nashville, Tennessee
Hi! I'm a chicken newbie. I've not gone through a molt with my flock yet, so I don't have much experience. I added 2 hends to my flock a few months ago and was told that they were close to molting when I bought them on November 4, 2023. My concern is that the healthy looking lavender in this photo did indeed molt and has regrown her feathers since November 4. The other hen has looked somewhat poor the entire time I've had her and doesn't seem to be improving. Her molt (if that's what it is) wasn't nearly as bad as the other hen's, but she's not improving either. The feathers on her head are sparse, I can see the "pins" of her feathers on her wings, and her butt feathers are very thin. I can't find any evidence that anyone is picking on her, she eats the same feed as my others (Co-op All Natural Layer Crumble, 16% protein) and she gets meal worms and treats. Her demeanor is normal - she just looks terrible. Is she still molting or could something else be wrong?

Attachments

• Image (14).jpg
    Image (14).jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Image (13).jpg
    Image (13).jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 26
Is she still molting or could something else be wrong?
No, that's not molting IMO.. on the more Isabella colored one.

It could however be broken or missing feathers.. not growing back in until she does molt.. if it was previously (or currently) pulled out by a rooster mounting, etc. Certainly those ratty tail feathers won't improve until she molts them out and grows new ones in.

Get a check of skin condition on the abdomen and below the vent with feathers parted using a flashlight after dark.. making it easy to not chase anyone and also to see any bugs running away from the light if they are. Take note if the skin is light pink or angry red.. any scabs or nice and smooth.

Back
Top Bottom