HELP did my broody reject my chicks? what can I do?

bacibeau

Chirping
Aug 9, 2021
I waited until the sun set and went outside and tried to slip my two 1-day old chicks under my broody and she started pecking at them and we had to take the chicks out. Did we not wait long enough until the broody was fully asleep? It's hard because they can hear us approach and wake up. Could I try again really late like 3 am and see if she takes them then? Is there no hope anymore? What can I do? Please help

If she started pecking them, then it's probably a no-go at any time. She might be a bad broody and should be put in broody jail for a couple of days and never allowed to brood again. How long has she been sitting for? Though how long a broody has been sitting never affected my broodies when offering them chicks, perhaps it's the case here? That is, has she sat for 21 days yet? Also, did she have any of her own chicks previously?

Whenever I've snuck chicks under a broody, I've done it in broad daylight and watched them. If the broody is good with the chicks (sometimes she'll try feeding them), then she's good and they're all set. If the broody is bad with the chicks (pecking them, etc. I had one case that tried killing the added chick), then she's a no-go. If she's not a proven brooder, then she shouldn't be trusted with her own hatch. If she is a proven brooder, then she's just trying to kick out the "mice" (strange chicks).

Thank you for your advice

She's been sitting for a long time I think its been around 21 days. She hasn't had any chicks before. She's the sweetest chicken though.

We just went out there in complete darkness and no noise and stuck our hands under her wings and wiggled our fingers for 30 seconds or so. She made a few clucks but didn't turn around or stand up or move and then stopped clucking. We're hopeful that this means she will be better in complete darkness.

So, we are planning on waiting a few hours and then going back out there and trying again with the chicks.

We set up chairs so we can sit there with the door to the nesting boxes open (she can't really tell because it's behind her) and wait a little bit to make sure everything is okay.

Has anyone else reintroduced their chicks? How did it go?

I was wondering does anyone know if there is any way to keep the chicks quieter so they don't wake her as much?

Please help

Did you do this during the night, last night? If so, how did it all go?

I was wondering does anyone know if there is any way to keep the chicks quieter so they don't wake her as much?
The chicks chirping is fine. When hatching them under a broody, they actually start chirping before they hatch with the mother talking back to them. Them being talkative is a good thing as long as their chirps isn't distress. If their chirps are distressful, then that means something is wrong and should be checked on.

If she's good with them, give them some time to get used to her, and eventually they will settle down and sleep under her while she's sleeping.

I have done chick adoption several times now, with first time Mom’s and experienced ones. The trick is to make sure you put the babies under her butt so she will only feel them, not see them, they’ll crawl under her near where her eggs are. If she sees them first, she will think they're after her eggs. Try to remove the eggs as soon as you can so she will stop sitting and go into momma broody mode. I have always done this during the day, but some say darkness works better. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom