Help! Drake possibly killed his son!

quackkquack_

Songster
Jun 30, 2022
Hi again, seems like I'm here with something new every week..
But I'm pretty sure Buzzard (my drake) killed his son Jellyfish.
After weeks of doing see but no touch and watching them interact with each other, I thought it was finally time for them to all be together since Buzzard wasn't really attacking them anymore.
At first I was thinking maybe it was because it was super hot (its around 90°F) but one of the ducklings, Fawn, was swimming in the pool and he wasn't panting at all and he seemed fine (plus I felt their feet and they weren't really hot at all, just a little warm).
Two other things that make me think it is Buzzard that killed him are
1. Jellyfish's feathers were ruffled like a duck was holding onto him (I'm not sure how to explain it but yknow how ducks fight and when they are done their feathers are usually messed up a bit, he looked like that)
2. Buzzard is pretty straight up evil if I'm being honest, he used to be sweet when he was younger but I don't think hes gonna go back to being that way, when he gets my hands or arms, it's really hard to get him off (plus he was chasing the other babies when I went to check on them)

Maybe it could've been how hot it was, but I really can't see it..
I don't want to risk another baby dying so I'm locking Buzzard up unless I'm down there to watch them since I can't trust him. If it turns out it is him, I'm most likely gonna rehome him. I don't really want to because someone will most likely eat him but I don't want him killing any of the other ducklings and I don't have enough money to build a separate enclosure for him and Newt to be in.
So I'm not sure what to do, if anyone can help me please do, I really don't know what to do.

if you want to keep him, keep him in drake jail until Sept and try him again with everyone.
Is he going after any of the other drakes? if not and you didn't see him attack then you don't know for sure it was him and not just something wrong with Jellyfish. Drakes can sure be pains and mine are no exception but neither have tried to kill another drake. Fights yes but no deaths. Not here anyway. Years ago when we had Muscovy drakes at our river one drake killed another but they weren't mine.
Another thing that would help you know what is going on is putting up a game camera.

I'm very sorry you lost Jellyfish :hugs

if you want to keep him, keep him in drake jail until Sept and try him again with everyone.
Is he going after any of the other drakes? if not and you didn't see him attack then you don't know for sure it was him and not just something wrong with Jellyfish. Drakes can sure be pains and mine are no exception but neither have tried to kill another drake. Fights yes but no deaths. Not here anyway. Years ago when we had Muscovy drakes at our river one drake killed another but they weren't mine.
Another thing that would help you know what is going on is putting up a game camera.

I'm very sorry you lost Jellyfish :hugs
In fact he sometimes attacks all the babies, including the girls, one time he got Newt when he was trying to get Pike (one of the girls).
I'll keep him in drake jail until September but if he doesn't straighten up, I'm probably gonna have to rehome him.

If we are able to afford it, we are looking into doing a Necropsy for Jellyfish.

In fact he sometimes attacks all the babies, including the girls, one time he got Newt when he was trying to get Pike (one of the girls).
I'll keep him in drake jail until September but if he doesn't straighten up, I'm probably gonna have to rehome him.

If we are able to afford it, we are looking into doing a Necropsy for Jellyfish.
Wanted to update this!

Ever since his mate died, hes been acting quite well with the other ducks. He tries to follow them but they run from him. Hes been able to sit right next to them and I haven't had any problems with him attacking them.
He seems quite sad and wants some friends since hes mate died and hes lonely.
I've been letting him hangout with them for an hour everyday under supervision. I think he'll be able to go in there with them once mating season is finally over : )

Another update!
They have accepted him into the flock. I haven't seen him try anything, I do spend most of my hours down there spending time with them too.
I did notice when I'm not in there, they are all happy and fine and scavenging together. But when I am in there, Fawn, Pike and Tokki like the nibble on my pants and shoes and sit in my lap and if Buzzard gets too close or tries to attack me (which he doesn't do too often now) they'll peck him or jump on him and once he walks away, they'll resume playing with me.
Why is this? I assume they see me as a part of the flock? Are they protecting me?
They don't peck or jump on him too rough to hurt him but I think he gets the message lol.

Back
Top Bottom