HELP! Duck Black Vent, Painful, Runny Feces, Missing Feathers

May 11, 2020
Seeking help as there are NO vets in my area willing to help with ducks.

4 Year Old layer duck has had digestive issues had fly strike in Summer that seemed to clear but now super sloppy feces and difficulty pooping since then. Tried lots of treatments, thought she was 'OK'. We've had SUPER cold temps and all of a sudden noticed that her vent is BLACK, crusty and her feces just kind of trickle out and stick to her underside. Concerned the infalmmed tissues that were already problematic got frost bite but I don't know!

When I touch her vent to apply ointment she cries out in pain no matter how gentle I am.
Trying Epsom Salt soaks, preparation H, Ointments, apple cider vinegar in water.

Please help me know what to do?

Now I know why when they quack the have a greek accent :p
OIG3(2).jpg

Remove acv cocktail, herbs and spices, they will not help anything.
Does she get any real duck food?
Yes of course she does. She gets 24/7 access to a quality layer crumble (same brand for 3+ years) as well as Mazuri floating duck food, fresh peas twice a day and a handful of dried mealworms as a supplement. Occassionallly romaine lettuce while the ground is frozen and they can't forage.

@Tales from Duckingham do you have Veterycin. After bathing get some good pics but I’d also spray may help relieve some pain until you can decide how to treat.
Yes have tried gently flushing the area with a saline rinse, have also done vetricyn spray (did more this morning ) have tried Preparation H*(seemed to help her poops be easier the next day) and have also tried keeping the vent moist with an the triple antibiotic ointment.

I use dried Greek oregano in my flocks feed.
Then, unfortunately, at best, they're getting Italian flavored feed, the amounts of helpful components in dried oregano are little but can vary. At worst, all that is happening is continual feeding low, low doses of antibiotics. Natural or not, it's still antibiotics.
If you ever need to use real medical grade oregano oil (the stuff that you'd use for infection) it may not work since there's a possibility of resistance from exposure.
Though most feed anymore have oregano in it to satisfy the clamor, mine does.

Then, unfortunately, at best, they're getting Italian flavored feed, the amounts of helpful components in dried oregano are little but can vary. At worst, all that is happening is continual feeding low, low doses of antibiotics. Natural or not, it's still antibiotics.
If you ever need to use real medical grade oregano oil (the stuff that you'd use for infection) it may not work since there's a possibility of resistance from exposure.
Though most feed anymore have oregano in it to satisfy the clamor, mine does.
Now I know why when they quack the have a greek accent :p

The trouble is, I believe yeast and bacterial infections can often go hand in hand together, so it's possible she has both. But if she's still eating and acting ok, and if signs point towards it being yeast, I'd try to treat it as just a yeast infection first.

Back
Top Bottom