Help! Duckling Pipped On Wrong End

jofanx

Songster
5 Years
Oct 30, 2015
I had an abysmal hatch rate (1 out of 4 eggs) for my muscovies last time (humidity was too high) so I've been extra vigilant this time around. One of the eggs out of the four (again, on day 31 like last time, which is weird) didn't show internal pipping in the air sac nor any movement (the other three are all internally pipped and bouncing around) but DID suddenly show a bruise on the wrong end of the egg--I thought it had quit but decided to make a small hole on the bruise to see what that was. Turns out it had attempted to pip on the wrong end. There's a little bill (thankfully still alive) where I opened the hole (no blood, but I can still see veins if I candle.)

What do I do now? Will it be okay now that I created a hole for it to breathe out of? Can it finish hatching on its own or should I keep an eye on it?

Thank you! I was looking for this article and couldn't find it.

I don't know what's going on this year but my muscovy duck eggs have all been trying to pip on day 31--so I don't even get to make it to lock down. Next time I'm going to try to stop turning at day 25-28 or something because these 4 eggs were all malpositioned.

This time all 4 are pipping on the wrong end and I came home to one dead one that attempted to get through but gave up. I immediately made safety holes for the two remaining unpipped ones where they had "bruised" the egg so I'm hoping they'll be okay.

Guess I'm not sleeping tonight.

Back
Top Bottom