Help! Duck's beak seems to be rotting?

Awesome!

The reason I asked was that I had someone who surrendered a duck to me and said that after she tried to pick the spots off, she tried to scrub the spots off with bleach, thinking they were mold from the water.
th.gif

Luckily the duck made a full recovery.
Some people, I had a guy at our feed store tell me to put bleach in their drinking water to worm.

How old are they? Where did you get them? Are their legs spraddled (like doing a split) or are they limping?
Ducks bills tend to be soft, compared to chicken beaks that are very hard. They should have some rigidity though, how soft are they?

i hatched them in the incubator...1 is 4 weeks and the other 6 weeks....the bills seem pretty soft...when i touch them they squish a bit and can bend!!! their legs arent really bowed but one falls all over the place and the other wont even get up by himself..he has trouble even lifting his head =( iv been nurseing them for 3 days...tried niacin, now vitamin d and calcium... not sure what else to do!!!

i hatched them in the incubator...1 is 4 weeks and the other 6 weeks....the bills seem pretty soft...when i touch them they squish a bit and can bend!!! their legs arent really bowed but one falls all over the place and the other wont even get up by himself..he has trouble even lifting his head =( iv been nurseing them for 3 days...tried niacin, now vitamin d and calcium... not sure what else to do!!!
You have to keep them on the niacin or B complex for a while not just a few days. actually they need to be on Niacin [plain not flush free or time released] till they are at least 12 weeks old. 150 megs a day in 1 gal of water.

What are you feeding them?

they have only been on wheat and corn.....i ran out ofchicken starter and thought they would be fine if i added soy protein to their food.....guess iwas wrong!!
so they dont need the calcium?or should i give them the niacin, calcium and vitamin d? or is that too much vitamins at once. is it ok if they get other b vitamins with the B3....its a liquid cocktail,but its mostly niacin...

Last edited:
they have only been on wheat and corn.....i ran out ofchicken starter and thought they would be fine if i added soy protein to their food.....guess iwas wrong!!
so they dont need the calcium?or should i give them the niacin, calcium and vitamin d? or is that too much vitamins at once. is it ok if they get other b vitamins with the B3....its a liquid cocktail,but its mostly niacin...
They need a more balanced diet corn is carbs and okay to feed small amounts especially in winter for extra energy and over night heat. But not as main source of food along with wheat which is good also. But at 4-6 weeks old they don't need starter try and find an all flock feed they can be on it rest of their lives from here on out. Mix the wheat into it if you need to use it up.My flock loves wheat, in summer I put it into a small bucket with water and they love to stick their heads into the water to eat it. I have also put it into their feed. I'd also try them on a B complex that is all the B's just make sure the niacin is at least 125-150 mgs. The liquid cocktail is fine. @plutarkian

Last edited:
okay...thanks...they seem to be getting a little stronger every day...ill keep at it..one day at a time!! Sowhat about the calcium?? And is there something i can do about their toes starting to curl inwards?? i know have lots of questions.....i just want to be sure.....iv raised every animal but Ducks are new to me...i did lots of reading about them but its not the same as experience huh?!...would 16% laying mesh be considered an all flock feed??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom