HELP! Duck's wing hanging and skin ripped off!

her wound isnt infected any more!
ya.gif
. I do hope this marks the road to recovery!!!

I had a chicken with a huge ripped open wound down her side (and several smaller rips). We suspected a hawk attack. It was all the way through the skin, several inches long, and spread open wide. Not good.

In our case, we just packed the wound with Neosporin (without the pain relief) ointment. We did this for days and then weeks, keeping her inside the whole time. We thought if she wanted to live, then we were going to try.

It didn't seem like it would ever heal, but then one day, it started to close a bit. Then a little bit more the next day. It took a couple of months, but the wound finally closed. We couldn't even tell where it was after her feathers grew back in.

I know that ripped tendons and such are more severe, but I just want to give you some hope that these critters have strong wills to live.

I had a chicken with a huge ripped open wound down her side (and several smaller rips). We suspected a hawk attack. It was all the way through the skin, several inches long, and spread open wide. Not good.

In our case, we just packed the wound with Neosporin (without the pain relief) ointment. We did this for days and then weeks, keeping her inside the whole time. We thought if she wanted to live, then we were going to try.

It didn't seem like it would ever heal, but then one day, it started to close a bit. Then a little bit more the next day. It took a couple of months, but the wound finally closed. We couldn't even tell where it was after her feathers grew back in.

I know that ripped tendons and such are more severe, but I just want to give you some hope that these critters have strong wills to live.

Mmm....yep. Had to deal with many animal wounds, whether it be sewing up a little chipmunk or a gash on our dog from an unknown source. Clara has been released outside with the flock as she was getting lonely, though I believe i might have to bring her back in b/c as soon as she tasted freedom she ripped off her bandages and fled... She seems happy enough today :).

I hope the smoke that filled our kitchen last night didnt effect her. but now she has clean air so thats something

Quote:
oh shes been eating more then enough, that hasn't been a problem in the least XD.
I'd hug her but shes off foraging with the ducks and shes gotten more skittish around me (she probably thinks i'm going to poke her with a needle, or put that evil diaper on her again)
lau.gif

lol.........Great news.......

Congrats......

Back
Top Bottom