Help! Egg?? Vent Gleet??

DKura

Hatching
Mar 20, 2017

Found one of my other chickens pecking at this girls behind and saw that it was red and raw. Soaked her in an epsom salt bath but still can't figure out what it could be. Never had any issues like this before. The area doesn't seem hard at all so wasn't thinking it could be an egg, right?? Any help is greatly appreciated!

I successfully treated a prolapsed hen last summer but there was definitely an egg trapped / flipped into the swollen tissue. You should be able to feel an egg- if you can't, this could be another problem. If you do feel an egg, it needs to be removed as soon as possible. I will caution you that anything you do with that exposed tissue must be done VERY carefully so as not to perforate or tear the tissue while examining or treating this problem. If there is an egg, its also a challenge not to crush or break it as you attempt to free it. I'll do my best to help you through the process if you'd like to try to treat her yourself, but you'll need a helper to hold her as well as a few other supplies :hugs

Found one of my other chickens pecking at this girls behind and saw that it was red and raw. Soaked her in an epsom salt bath but still can't figure out what it could be. Never had any issues like this before. The area doesn't seem hard at all so wasn't thinking it could be an egg, right?? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Welcome to BYC! Can you take her to a vet?

Called a local vet and they said they would see a chicken. $100 for an examination. Nott to sound terrible, but not sure if I want to start paying a fortune
1f4b8.png

Called a local vet and they said they would see a chicken. $100 for an examination. Nott to sound terrible, but not sure if I want to start paying a fortune
1f4b8.png
I understand, and that's reasonable. Problem is your hen is in very bad shape and really needs to be treated, but treating that will be quite difficult. You say the are isn't hard, so if not an egg, what is it?

take her to the vet and ask him to make an exception.
surely when he see her suffering he will help if not
post here and on facebook

Back
Top Bottom