Jul 1, 2017
Barnevelder lover!
I have a few questions about fowl pox.
  1. What can I do about it?
  2. How long does it take for it to clear up by itself?
  3. All my chickens have it. But one of them has a completely closed left eye, and it's pussy. What?
Please post any tips or stuff you know for me. Even if I haven't asked about it. I can deal with graphic pics.

Mine had it at about 2 months old. One of my little girls had closed eyes for weeks. One at a time, thank goodness. They looked awful, and the growth of one pullet was delayed, but she caught up. They all are fine now. I didnt do anything special, except to be certain they had plenty of fresh water and good feed. Maybe there is something more to do. I'll be watching to see the suggestions.

Mine had it at about 2 months old. One of my little girls had closed eyes for weeks. One at a time, thank goodness. They looked awful, and the growth of one pullet was delayed, but she caught up. They all are fine now. I didnt do anything special, except to be certain they had plenty of fresh water and good feed. Maybe there is something more to do. I'll be watching to see the suggestions.
I wish they'd get better...:th:barnie:hit:oops:

Can you post some photos?

Generally if it's dry form of Fowl Pox it will resolve itself in a few weeks. Iodine can be used on the scabs to help dry them up.

Since you have one that has an eye that is swollen with pus, then it could be wet form.
Without seeing it, it's hard to know. General care for swollen eye with pus, would be to flush with saline, remove pus and apply Terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn eye gel. Be careful not to disturb any scabs.

Keeping your water stations cleaned and sanitized can help as well.

Here's more detailed info and some suggestions on sanitizing the water
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/07/fowl-pox-prevention-treatment.html

IMG_2228.JPG IMG_2227.JPG Here are some pics - they aren't great.

Back
Top Bottom