Help! How can I control compost smell?

Not to commandeer, but since we've gotten some good answers and there are a few master composters in the thread, I had a question on "twigs".

I'm open to any suggestions on how many and how big before I have to worry about chipping them.

Yes, browns are the high carbon items...leaves, wood chips, straw, shredded paper/cardboard, etc.

"Greens" are the high nitrogen stuff like food waste, grass clippings, etc.
Ok sounds great ! I’m gonna take a shot at doing this as I’m getting baby chicks this week.. hopefully I’ll have a good compost in 6 months! So much to learn but I’m willing ! Again thank you! :thumbsup

Ok sounds great ! I’m gonna take a shot at doing this as I’m getting baby chicks this week.. hopefully I’ll have a good compost in 6 months! So much to learn but I’m willing ! Again thank you! :thumbsup

That's awesome! Enjoy the little fuzz balls and welcome to BYC. It's a great place to ask questions and learn.

Chickens and compost go together SO well...best of luck and enjoy!

A couple things you could do: first, buy a bag of lime & mix the lime with it. This won't help speed up the composting process. Second, dk how big your yard is, but you could get a bag of fall leaves & mix them in, and a second bag to cover the pile. That should help smell & decomposition. Do you have a lot of chicken waste with pine shavings in the pile as well as food?

Btw, I'm in the Burgh too (Shaler Twp) and I've got lots of free leaves;) Howdy Yinz!
I have a super smelly compost that has chicken manure. I added a lot of pine shavings and turned it this morning and it still stinks

I have a super smelly compost that has chicken manure. I added a lot of pine shavings and turned it this morning and it still stinks
In addition to adding the shavings and turning, you might want to dump some leaves, shaving, or wood chips on TOP of the pile, to act as a barrier between the smelly bits and your nose.

In addition to adding the shavings and turning, you might want to dump some leaves, shaving, or wood chips on TOP of the pile, to act as a barrier between the smelly bits and your nose.
I did that as well, but the temperature of the compost went up again to 160 Fahrenheit which that means it’s too hot. also started smelling like ammonia again.

I did that as well, but the temperature of the compost went up again to 160 Fahrenheit which that means it’s too hot. also started smelling like ammonia again.
Wow, heated up that quick and still smelling of ammonia? Got any pictures (yes, we're compost geeks)?

I'd say add a bunch more carbon (leaves, straw, hay, wood chips, shavings, shredded paper/cardboard, etc.). The extra carbon should help absorb odors and slow down the decomposition a bit.

Another trick that can help with the ammonia smell is to buy a bag of hardwood lump charcoal (NOT briquettes). Stomp on the bag a bit to break it up as much as possible, then mix the char into your pile.

I use char in my chicken coop specifically because it sucks up lots of nutrients like ammonia.

Wow, heated up that quick and still smelling of ammonia? Got any pictures (yes, we're compost geeks)?

I'd say add a bunch more carbon (leaves, straw, hay, wood chips, shavings, shredded paper/cardboard, etc.). The extra carbon should help absorb odors and slow down the decomposition a bit.

Another trick that can help with the ammonia smell is to buy a bag of hardwood lump charcoal (NOT briquettes). Stomp on the bag a bit to break it up as much as possible, then mix the char into your pile.

I use char in my chicken coop specifically because it sucks up lots of nutrients like ammonia.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    801.2 KB · Views: 5
I added stick to let the heat out

Attachments

• IMG_9424.jpeg
    IMG_9424.jpeg
    953.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9423.jpeg
    IMG_9423.jpeg
    783.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9422.jpeg
    IMG_9422.jpeg
    516.6 KB · Views: 5
Heating up like that will kill any pathogens, which is a good thing.

I turned my compost a week ago. Stinky! I turned it this past Saturday. Stinky, but less so. I turned it Monday, and it's got very little odor and everything is breaking down well.

If you can turn your compost, that might help. Oxygen is another ingredient compost needs to work its magic.

Back
Top Bottom