Help! I can't decide to switch over to a full watering system or ato go to store bought waterers.

GOLDENSEABRIGHT

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 4, 2014
Hey everybody,
I have come to the final breaking point with chickens. Everybody says that store bought waterers are great and bowls are good too, but to me, they are both a waste of time. My coop foundations or unleveled so with store bought waterers, all the water leaks out, but with bowls, the water stays in however my chickens just poop in it. News flash to the chickens, they don't flush! I have thought about using PVC pipes with water nipples for a watering system, but I'm kind of on the fence about that. Please help me fast!!!

We are planning on hanging 5 gallon buckets with nipples. You can get the buckets from fast food places for free or really cheap. They are food grade (had pickles).

I am thinking about this too, only I want to do it for the winter. I want to use a black rubber livestock bucket, with the nipples attached to that. I am thinking that the black may keep the water thawed out. Last winter I noticed that in the morning, if I flipped the bowl upside down the ice block would melt enough to fall out of the bowl. I had two bowls, and flipped one, and watered one.

I don't have electricity to the coop, so any water heater is not an option. but I am wondering if a solar set up might work for a lot of the days. I think it would really work, if I can encase it inside a clear plastic...... but have not done it yet.

Mrs K

If you hang your waterers from a single point in the center of the handle, the lack of level in the coop floor or ground does not come into play.

If you live in an area that does not freeze nipple waterer systems can be great, if you do live where it freezes it becomes more complicated. The best nipples to use in a freezing area are the horizontal nipples in a bucket with a heater.

HTH

I
Hey everybody,
I have come to the final breaking point with chickens. Everybody says that store bought waterers are great and bowls are good too, but to me, they are both a waste of time. My coop foundations or unleveled so with store bought waterers, all the water leaks out, but with bowls, the water stays in however my chickens just poop in it. News flash to the chickens, they don't flush! I have thought about using PVC pipes with water nipples for a watering system, but I'm kind of on the fence about that. Please help me fast!!!

I have traditional store bought waterers that I hang from the run roof. They will hang level so no water spills out, plus if you hang them at the back level if your shortest chicken, very little debris gets in them.

Back
Top Bottom