Help, I dont know whats wrong!

Beastmomma82

In the Brooder
May 23, 2020
My poor Galexy, is losing a huge amount of feathers. She is red everywhere.. from her vent up her belly all the way to her neck! She even has some red on both legs. But none on her back or under her wings or upper tail. Her waddle and comb are healthy looking.. eyes are lively and clear.. I can't figure out what's wrong. She walks just fine. Her attitude hasent changed. No one has been picking on her. I'm at a loss.. I don't see mites any where.. nor do any other members of my flock have this problem. I have researched the heck out of this and cant find anything that matches
20220604_125720.jpg
20220604_125625.jpg
20220604_125711.jpg
20220604_125630.jpg
20220604_125644.jpg
20220604_125655.jpg
20220604_125616.jpg
:( Any and all words of chicken wisdom would be of great appreciation. Thanks all! 😊

Where does she sleep at night—on a roost, on the floor, or in a nest box? Is it dry and smooth? Is she eating and drinking normally? The red skin might be from fever or inflammation, but I have seen it occasionally on a hen. She may be pecking out her own feathers, or irritated by something. They will pick out their chest feathers in what is called a broody patch when they want to sit of eggs. You might want to check her in the dark for certain mites, and look for any lice eggs or mite droppings.

Where does she sleep at night—on a roost, on the floor, or in a nest box? Is it dry and smooth? Is she eating and drinking normally? The red skin might be from fever or inflammation, but I have seen it occasionally on a hen. She may be pecking out her own feathers, or irritated by something. They will pick out their chest feathers in what is called a broody patch when they want to sit of eggs. You might want to check her in the dark for certain mites, and look for any lice eggs or mite droppings.
She's not broody.. her favorite place to sleep is actually on a 1x6 perch my husband made for her she prefers it over her round rod perch. And its dry as dry can get.. clean.. no moisture. But mites at night.. is the one thing I didn't check for.. but no one else has that problem so I didn't think of the night time blood suckers..lol I have checked her over multiple times and saw nothing as far as lice or bites or the little black mites and have found nothing so far. But i will definitely double check that right now. Thank you so much for the input!! Very much appreciated :) oh and yes, she's eating and drinking like the rest.

Back
Top Bottom