HELP! I have mice....

spies04

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2011
Minnesota
Hi! Hoping someone can help. I have mice in our chicken house that I have been really struggling to get rid of. They are multiplying faster than I can kill them. Poison is off the table and I have been having nightmares about setting traps even though I can put them back in an area that it would be hard for a chicken to get into. In the 8 years we have had chickens, I have never had this problem. Honestly, I am not sure even where they are getting in. But they need to go and the ladies have been a bit slow on the draw in killing them.

idunno.gif
I am at a loss - any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!

Hi! Hoping someone can help. I have mice in our chicken house that I have been really struggling to get rid of. They are multiplying faster than I can kill them. Poison is off the table and I have been having nightmares about setting traps even though I can put them back in an area that it would be hard for a chicken to get into. In the 8 years we have had chickens, I have never had this problem. Honestly, I am not sure even where they are getting in. But they need to go and the ladies have been a bit slow on the draw in killing them.

idunno.gif
I am at a loss - any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!

Well, the first thing I would suggest is evaluating your setup to identify how the mice are getting IN - addressing all fixes that can be made to reduce the number of mice getting in will go a long way in not just your immediate situation, but as a long term fix to the problem. Also consider what is drawing the mice in - usually it's feed. A treadle feeder, etc is a great way to cut this draw because the birds will be able to access the feed, the mice will not. If there is no longer a free/easy meal to be had the mice move on to the next free/easy meal.
As for control of the population already present - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/747201/5-gallon-bucket-mouse-trap

Last edited:
I use a version of that bucket trap. It doesn’t eliminate all the mice but it helps keep them under control. If you use water in it you can feed the dead mice to the chickens. Some people use antifreeze too keep it from freezing but antifreeze is deadly to the chickens. A couple of inches of liquid in it helps stop them from jumping out plus helps finish them off faster by drowning them.

I also use snap traps. My brooder is in the coop and is made out of 1” hardware cloth. Mice can get inside that. When the brooder is empty I set snap traps in there. Chickens can’t get to it but mice really can and do. That’s more effective than the bucket trap. You might consider building something like that.

Mice are almost impossible for most of us to keep out completely but they do need to be kept under control. My chickens have a lot of fun eating a dead mouse but they generally don’t even try to catch a live mouse. The mice are just too quick.

Just a caution about using so called repellants. We had an onslaught of mice this season and they got into my truck and ate the wiring resulting in the truck being totaled by my insurance company. We checked around and put mothballs in hiding places in the garage and a plug in ultra-sonic thing that helps to repel mice. NOTE THAT BOTH THE MOTHBALLS AND THE SONIC THING HAVE CAUTIONS ABOUT USE AROUND BIRDS OF ANY KIND. So, if you use any sort of repellant check for their safety around birds before using. I have also read that certain oils like peppermint and cinnamon oil will repel mice because of its strong odor but again I don't know if they are safe to use around birds.

Thank you all for the great info! Our one guinea hen does catch them on occasion, but the ladies also do not show much interest unless I am killing them and they scramble.

I appreciate all of your comments - I will circle back with how it works out.

Not sure if its an option for you but we always have a couple barn cats, kinda old school option I guess but they keep the mice issue down.

Unfortunately cats are not an option. But definitely something that I have considered. I just recently took on four young RIR that a farmer I knew didn't want anymore. I am hopeful they find a new sport - catching mice :).

How about the battery operated traps that electrocute them? Easy to set, no worries that the birds will ingest poison, no mice wandering off to die in the walls and stink, and you don't have to even look at the dead body. Supposedly they work great. Anyone have any experience?

Mice hate MINT! If you can plant peppermint all around your coop, you should be able to get rid of the mice in the long run. For the short term, get a bottle of peppermint essential oil (costs a few bucks at a natural foods store & some drugstores carry it), mix about 20 drops with a cup of water in a clean spray bottle, and spray around areas where you suspect they may be getting in. And I second that advice from @Ol Grey Mare about figuring how they are getting in in the first place. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom