Help I think my hen has a trapped egg…

Kayls

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2023
In need of help!

I came home after work to find my ex rescued hen in her nest box tail down. Head down. She didn’t look right and definitely isn’t broody! I lifted her out the nest box and she just lay down very uncomfortable. I immediately got a warm bath on the go with some Epsom salt I had to support her as she was weak. My parented feed her some food. And she ate it. He was in the bath half an hour before I dried her down I brought her in the house in a created as she has no belly feathers. And hour later no improvement. I gave her another bath and tried to feel for an egg using gel and gloves. All that came out was clear liquid. I left her for another hour. Her vent is red and puckering her head is low and her winds are low. Checked her all over she has no marks. Isn’t pooping. I’ve been giving her water. And now won’t take feed. I attempted a last bath and pulled out half an egg shell? I can’t feel any more in her vent. I have her some antibiotics I had left over (in date) from another chicken trip to the vet. As it’s late afternoon and didn’t want to leave her all night. The medicine is an antibiotic with a pain killer. She now relaxed with her eegs closed. I’m so so worried do I need to get the rest of the egg shell out?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 13
In need of help!

I came home after work to find my ex rescued hen in her nest box tail down. Head down. She didn’t look right and definitely isn’t broody! I lifted her out the nest box and she just lay down very uncomfortable. I immediately got a warm bath on the go with some Epsom salt I had to support her as she was weak. My parented feed her some food. And she ate it. He was in the bath half an hour before I dried her down I brought her in the house in a created as she has no belly feathers. And hour later no improvement. I gave her another bath and tried to feel for an egg using gel and gloves. All that came out was clear liquid. I left her for another hour. Her vent is red and puckering her head is low and her winds are low. Checked her all over she has no marks. Isn’t pooping. I’ve been giving her water. And now won’t take feed. I attempted a last bath and pulled out half an egg shell? I can’t feel any more in her vent. I have her some antibiotics I had left over (in date) from another chicken trip to the vet. As it’s late afternoon and didn’t want to leave her all night. The medicine is an antibiotic with a pain killer. She now relaxed with her eegs closed. I’m so so worried do I need to get the rest of the egg shell out?
I'm sorry i don't have much help but perhaps @azygous or @Eggcessive can help. Best wishes for you and your hen.

I would recommend giving 1 human calcium citrate with vitamin D as well. That can help them lay the egg, and pass the rest of the membrane. Tums or other calcium may work. Aim for 600 mg of calcium. I would not do any more baths, since that could put her over the edge. Place her in a warm humid room, such as a bathroom on a warm towel.

Giving calcium will help get the rest of the egg out better than anything else you've done. It stimulates contractions to move the blockage. You should also start her on an antibiotic because a broken egg inside a hen will almost always get an infection going. But anything with a pain killer may be toxic to a chicken. What is the drug you have and what is the pain killer in it?

Your hen is very weak, and you need to revive her by raising her glucose. To do that mix one teaspoon sugar in one cup warm water and try to get her to drink it by dipping her beak a few times. If she is too weak to drink, you need to syringe it into her. To do that safely, do it as you see in the diagram below.
upload_2019-3-15_10-22-30.jpeg

What is the antibiotic that you have? And the medication with the pain killer? Is that meloxicam?
Yes, It was prescribed for another hen. I only gave her a small dosage to take the edge off to help her through the night.

HEN UPDATE! After administering the antibiotics our hen nestled comfortably…I got some fluids down her before bed and hoped for the best. This morning I was expecting the worst! However to my amazement she’s back to her normal self! (There were tears!) she’s ate normal, pooped normal and more clear residue came out through the night. I’ll be calling the vet for some advice as it’s now morning here in the UK! Thank you for all your words of wisdom and support! Running on coffee today!

In need of help!

Please see post thread for an update! Our hen tinker is ok and doing well!

Back
Top Bottom