Help identify an old western movie?

BWchicken

Songster
12 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Texas
I was little when I saw it and don't recall much but I associate it with a special time in my childhood. I saw it around the mid 70's, in color, and I think it was a Western. Here's what I remember, it aint much.

- A man is riding his horse towards the camera from a distance. As he gets closer, more riders cross the horizon a ways behind him chasing him. As he gets closer to the camera, it zooms in on his horse's head as he's running. There is a necklace like chain around the horse's ears/bridle. In slow motion it shows that it's a little crescent moon on a chain. The chase continues and they run out of ground, up ahead there's a short cliff with a stream below it. They ride over the edge and fall to the creek bank below. The horse is laid out flat, I think it was dead. The man took the necklace from the bridle while he was crying and calling the horse 'Moonbeam'. Above, he hears the others coming and limps off. The chasers look over the edge at the horse.

- The only other thing I remember is the ending (I think) where the man is thanking another man or some emotional moment. He then gives the moon necklace to that man.

- Not sure about this part, but I think it may have showed the new man riding away, smiling, with the moon necklace now on his horse's bridle.

I've been trying to figure this out for years. I may have some of it mixed up, but does anyone recognize any part of it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079455/

I believe I found it.
yesss.gif

During the Seventies, the western genre tried to get away the ordinary good guy, bad guy themes and started making some very strange, deep, phsycological, philisophical movies. Alot of them are hard to watch because they were always cutting to some thought scene in someone's head.

This sounds like it may be one of them.

Thanks for introducing such a master piece. I loved it and enjoyed with my friends last night.

Back
Top Bottom