So I'm up to three pips at the moment. They all started last night. I've read they should take 12-24 hours from first pip. Is that right? I'm worried they might be stop in the shell.

Some of my coturnix took 48 hours after pipping. They still hatched and grew up perfectly healthy.

Most of my bobwhites pipped day 21 and didn’t hatch until day 24.

I wouldn’t worry. As long as the temperature and humidity is good, they will be fine.

Once they pip they rest before they continue unzipping. They have air so everything is okay. Don't open the incubator or mess with them because it could dry out the membrane since they have pipped.

Here is a situation I had recently where I had to intervene: One of my chicks unzipped almost all the way and then didn't seem to be able to push the lid off. I left it for a couple of hours but still hadn't managed. I reached in quickly and popped the lid open and waited for it to push itself out.

Until they get to that point, I don't do anything to help.

A34C841B-6C88-4927-9934-02B9C97C80EB.jpeg
CC4E2188-DB86-4C29-9899-43F81DF1D1AA.jpeg
Honestly dry incubation is good, but I’m also a first timer quail here I’m at day 14, and I have lockdowned my eggs, 13/15 made it, one being infertile and the other cracked trough shipping, otherwise the rest were fully developed embryos with good health, I kept temperature of 105-99.5%F and I kept humidity at 40-35% it was my first time but I managed to get basically 100% incubation progress so far, now I await for the peeping, hoping they hatch.... otherwise if you are planing on doing another bath if quails in the future try doing the method I did, dry incubation can be a bit hard sometimes! ( also its at 93 since I opened up the incubator in day 13 to put paper towels.

I was at work and my partner rang to say one of the eggs exploded, apparently "white stuff" inside. I said it needs to be removed, but quickly so the other eggs aren't compromised. Said I'd be home shortly, but he's gone ahead and removed it.

I've taken some pictures. Should I remove the cardboard mat? I'll need to remove the eggs and put them back. They're looking yellow instead of white inside, I'm guessing due to exposure. I don't know what to do for the best and just feeling really unlucky. :(

IMG_20180706_150409.jpg IMG_20180706_150424.jpg

I ended up opening the incubator and placing all the eggs on a blanket. Wiped out the base and lid with a VirkonS solution and put in aa non-slip mat cut to shape. Placed the 4 pipped eggs at the front and the others back. One or two unpipped eggs wobbled so that's a positive. Hope they've not dried out. :(

IMG_20180706_153825.jpg

I ended up opening the incubator and placing all the eggs on a blanket. Wiped out the base and lid with a VirkonS solution and put in aa non-slip mat cut to shape. Placed the 4 pipped eggs at the front and the others back. One or two unpipped eggs wobbled so that's a positive. Hope they've not dried out. :(

View attachment 1457301
Sorry that happened :( I hope you hatch goes well from now on. I’ve never heard of a quail egg actually exploding. I think you did the right thing pulling everything out and cleaning. Hopefull for your pips :fl

You only really have to worry about them drying out once they've pipped and the membrane is compromised. You did the right thing cleaning it out. Wishing you luck!

I'm certain that I've lost the one that had zipped most. He was almost out, but unfortunately next to the egg that exploded. I'm not sure if he suffocated or what has happened. Tried some warm water and a Q-tip to help soften the membrane, but he's not responding. I've put him back and hope I'm wrong. :(

I would tear that egg open and get him out immediately. He's been shrinkwrapped since you had the incubator open when he was unzipping.

I would tear that egg open and get him out immediately. He's been shrinkwrapped since you had the incubator open when he was unzipping.

I ended up pulling him out but it was too late. I should've acted faster. It looks like he turned into the egg and got stuck, running out of oxygen. Should I try and help the others? They had only just started pipping but the membrane is yellow.

Back
Top Bottom