Help incubator temperature?

matisse43

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2016
Salinas, CA
I have a still air incubator from Tractor Supply I believe it's the 9300 the thermometer on the screen and it's digital reads 101 however I have a thermometer inside that's is also digital and the readings is completely off. I was able to fit 58 egg's they are on their side but I am afraid the temp is all wrong. Is it to low to keep the temp at the bottom at 99.5 if it's set to 101 due to the amount of eggs ? That's the only thing I can think of. That I have to many eggs and it's not able to keep them at 99.5?

The Amount of eggs has nothing 'really' to do with it. Your Temp Will Fluxuate a little but the more eggs, the warmer your incubator will stay, and the less it has to run to maintain that temp.

You are also using a Still Air w/o out a fan, Temps ARE Going to be hard to control, and them get right. But at the same time, there Could be something wrong with gauge..

When Incubating eggs temp Should be 99.5... lowest is 78.5 and highest 101.0... NOW this is the Kicker... to low, you have more losses and they do take longer to hatch out.. Too High..again you will have more losses, and the hatch out a little sooner.. 99.5 IS the Ideal Temp for Incubating... However, with mine, I do have a Still Air with a Fan and Egg Rotator.. Actually the BEST WAY To Go.. Fan and Egg Rotator... so get a.s.a.p... Continuing On... I get mine as close to 99.5 as I can, but I dont let my temp get any higher then 100.5. and no less then 85.5 (which I Hate running it at)... Even If it take me a couple of days of tweeking BEFORE I place my eggs.. I get my Temp. up..

It is also better to run your temps a little on the low side, then on the High side. In case things go wrong. You will lose you eggs faster to over Heating, then getting to cold.

I use 3 different Temp gauges..that I pay $8. for at local Pet store.. or Petco has them.. Mine is NOT digital, not does it have kind of temp gauge on it as My Incubator is an Old one.."Little Giant 9200" I use two Digital Temp gauges outside and a 'standard' type inside, plus 2 Humidity Gauges.. This in case one fails, or is just not reading right..

Again, Dealing with a Still Air w/o a Fan is not easy, the Fan does help out a lot.. also Not have to remember to rotate your eggs at least once day it Great too..

And last but Not least.... EVERY ONES Incubator does run a little different, so getting to know your Incubator will take some time.. BUT the temp you should try to aim for is 99.5..

What is the temp reading by your other temp? What's the humidity level? Your incubator looks like mine but bigger because mine won't hold 50 eggs. My temp fluctuates on the screen from 99- 100. Something. It's not supposed to be hot inside, just warm. Don't want to cook the eggs. But I read that when you don't have a fan it's ok to be in the 100/101*. My27 seem to be growing just fine and moving around in their shells. I have 9 more days to go.

Finally got it to hold 100. It does have a fan. They all look ok checked them 2 days ago and all are progressing some look a little less developed so every 2 or 3 days I move them around in the incubator from the outside-in so that they get a little more heat near the fun/heater. But all is good 7 days to go ♡

On the # of eggs it holds 41 lol but I added additional eggs over them thinking I would have some that were known fertile or quitters I've only had fourth that were non fertile so it's still carrying a lot of them they seem to all be doing okay

Yeah I decided to put in 28 because I read that only like 50% make it. So far one was not fertilized. And the rest are growing wonderfully. So now I am thinking I should have only put a dozen in. Lol. But I guess there are always other people who might want some cute baby chicks.

Back
Top Bottom