Help - is my shed too cold?

Twiga

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
My chickens are in a shed for the winter with plenty of straw and a thick layer of sawdust on the floor. We lost one today as she got egg bound. The farm store said it could be she got too cold - I've bought a thermometer and it's just 1 degree Centigrade in the shed. It must go below that at night. How warm does it need to be? Thanks for your advice

I must live further south than you. My hens have a lean-to structure that they have sheltered in all winter, and they seem to be happy. I'm in Alabama, and the coldest it has gotten here has been 24 at night I think

1 degree C is about 34 F. 24 F is about -4 C.

I’ve seen chickens sleep in trees in a protected valley when the overnight low was below zero F (-18 C). The cold by itself is not your problem. A weakened chicken is going to be at more risk than a healthy chicken so the cool temperatures may have been a contributing factor, but a healthy chicken that is kept in a coop with good ventilation so the bad air is exchanged and a breeze is not blowing directly on it can handle cold extremely well. Consider all the song birds you see outside in winter.

Your cold is not your problem. There was something else wrong with that hen.

Thank you all and Ridge runner for putting my mind at ease - I was worrying about the rest of the girls but I see you are right - they should be fine if wild birds can take the cold.

To me the key is that they need a pace to get out of the wind. As long as they can do that they really can handle cold. So can you if you have a good down coat.

Back
Top Bottom