Help!!! Is this a hernia?

Enilcita28

Chirping
Mar 14, 2019
Hi everyone! Is this an umbilical cord hernia??? Or what is it?? How do I treat it? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220318_053817900.jpg
    IMG_20220318_053817900.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 26
Was this chick assisted? How long ago did she
hatch?
Could you send another photo, zoomed out a bit so we can see the whole chick?
It hatched last night. I left it in the incubator thinking whatever it was it would fall off but it hasn't. I don't have a pic of the entire chick but it looks completely normal. It just has that lump attached to where the umbilical cord is. Butt looks fine.

It hatched last night. I left it in the incubator thinking whatever it was it would fall off but it hasn't. I don't have a pic of the entire chick but it looks completely normal. It just has that lump attached to where the umbilical cord is. Butt looks fine.
it's possible that this is the yolk, not quite finished absorbing, but the picture throws me a bit-Let me call in some people for a second opinion, I dont want to give you the wrong advice
@PippinTheChicken @Wyorp Rock @WVduckchick @Isadora
Not sure who to call in here, any thoughts?

Looks to me like a bit that just didn't get fully absorbed. It should draw in within a day or two. Please keep the chick on something soft and keep the bedding as dry and clean as possible. You don't want any possibility of it ripping it open.

You can moisten it with a little neosporin or vaseline, might help against any possible infection, but its not really necessary.

Looks to me like a bit that just didn't get fully absorbed. It should draw in within a day or two. Please keep the chick on something soft and keep the bedding as dry and clean as possible. You don't want any possibility of it ripping it open.

You can moisten it with a little neosporin or vaseline, might help against any possible infection, but its not really necessary.
Hi. Thanks for your input (and thanks to everyone). Right now it looks like it's drying, maybe it will fall off once it dries completely? The chick is acting normal. Has it separate from the rest so they don't peck at it.

Hi. Thanks for your input (and thanks to everyone). Right now it looks like it's drying, maybe it will fall off once it dries completely? The chick is acting normal. Has it separate from the rest so they don't peck at it.
Separation is a good idea too, if the others mess with it.

Eventually the stuff that is inside the bulb should draw into the body, but it will likely leave a kind of scab that will either fall off, or will be dry enough to cut off.

Separation is a good idea too, if the others mess with it.

Eventually the stuff that is inside the bulb should draw into the body, but it will likely leave a kind of scab that will either fall off, or will be dry enough to cut off

Attachments

• IMG_20220318_111112702.jpg
    IMG_20220318_111112702.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom