Help! I've rescued 12 abandoned duck eggs...

All 12 eggs have a small crack. Some of the shell is gone. It's taking a long time & I don't want them to dry out. This process started on three of them last night & the rest today. I can hear them & see the eggs moving. One is quite loud. But none are out or showing any more signs of coming out. I'm getting worried & I have to work tomorrow. I won't be here to mist them. :(

I believe some people add wet sponges to increase humidity, or wet paper towels. My ducklings waited 24 to 48 hours after they pipped externally (first crack) to start zipping. Zipping and getting out took about 15 minutes. If one is out the others will be encouraged to get out too.

I'd suggest to open the incubator as little as possible, and make sure they can't burn themselves on the lamp (I can't see how high it is in the picture)

They're wild ducks, so I think they will manage themselves. Impressive all eggs are alive and have a small crack!

Zipping is when they will turn around in the egg while cracking the shell. I don't know how much you already know about all the hatching terms and things, but I tried to draw it on your photo:

You're doing really great! Try to relax a bit, hatching takes a lot of patience
smile.png
jumpy.gif

All 12 hatched!! I had to help one who was stuck & couldn't zip. She was really struggling but she turned out fine! The last one was a little weak & took a really long time but is also doing great. I turned them all over to the rehabber after they hatched. After meeting her, I feel confident she will take good care of them! I appreciate everyone's help!!

I do have pictures but unloaded my phone last night because it ran out of storage! :) I'm a picture hog. I'll try to update later tonight with a group shot.

I'm trying to upload but it's not working from my phone. I'll try in a bit from the computer.

Back
Top Bottom