HELP. just caught weasel with hen in its mouth!

DuckyGaze

Songster
7 Years
Apr 10, 2015
My husband went to the barn and luckily he did. coming out was a weasel with a young hen in its mouth. He stepped on the weasel to make it let go of the hen.
The damage is bad. the whole top part of the thigh is split open. we can see the thigh bone. (the big part).
The skin is split about 3 cm. 1 1/2 inches.
We have no vets here...

Do I sew this skin together or just bandage it up with anti-biotics... ????

Flush the wound with sterile saline, bandage, give antibiotics, and hope. Get her inside and keep her warm. Give her some vitamins and electrolytes in her water. Chickens have remarkable healing abilities, provided no infection sets in.

Flush the wound with sterile saline, bandage, give antibiotics, and hope. Get her inside and keep her warm. Give her some vitamins and electrolytes in her water. Chickens have remarkable healing abilities, provided no infection sets in.
We did bring her in. We are way up north and have a foot of snow already. gets very cold. I put her in a nice warm container with plush blanket. I also took a clean soft clothe and put polysporin on it and wrapped it around her body so that the polysporin is on the area the weasel messed up. the tear is big enough that we can see the hip bone moving when we move her foot. no bone broken, just the split skin.
Will vitamins that I give my cockatiels and parakeets work? I put a few drops in the water each day. Makes the water yellow. it is called Vita-Sol For all birds. High Potency daily liquid supplement.

Do I also add a bit of raw natural sugar to her water?

She is laying down. Eyes open.

We did bring her in. We are way up north and have a foot of snow already. gets very cold. I put her in a nice warm container with plush blanket. I also took a clean soft clothe and put polysporin on it and wrapped it around her body so that the polysporin is on the area the weasel messed up. the tear is big enough that we can see the hip bone moving when we move her foot. no bone broken, just the split skin.
Will vitamins that I give my cockatiels and parakeets work? I put a few drops in the water each day. Makes the water yellow. it is called Vita-Sol For all birds. High Potency daily liquid supplement.

Do I also add a bit of raw natural sugar to her water?

She is laying down. Eyes open.

sorry for the double post.. a bit nervous. really want to save my little hen.
sad.png

Topical ointments shouldn't be used on such a deep wound. A broad spectrum oral or injectable antibiotic will be more effective against any potential pathogens in the blood stream. The biggest risk with this sort of injury is septic shock.
She should heal up fine, if you manage to avoid a major infection.

Topical ointments shouldn't be used on such a deep wound. A broad spectrum oral or injectable antibiotic will be more effective against any potential pathogens in the blood stream. The biggest risk with this sort of injury is septic shock.
She should heal up fine, if you manage to avoid a major infection.
Oh dear.. I will remove the ointment soaked cloth . I do not have anything except for 1 syringe left that I got on tuesday after having gotten our cat neutered. Vet said to give to the cat each morning for 3 days. I have 1 left. I know it contains something for pain.. but maybe there is some antibiotics in it. It is to be given orally. I also have anti-biotics for my sinus infection. Amoxicillin in gel caps. So the Amoxicillin is powder form. Could I use any of these things for the chicken?

Oh dear.. I will remove the ointment soaked cloth . I do not have anything except for 1 syringe left that I got on tuesday after having gotten our cat neutered. Vet said to give to the cat each morning for 3 days. I have 1 left. I know it contains something for pain.. but maybe there is some antibiotics in it. It is to be given orally. I also have anti-biotics for my sinus infection. Amoxicillin in gel caps. So the Amoxicillin is powder form. Could I use any of these things for the chicken?
I removed the cloth. She is standing up. moving about. Drank water with the drops in it.

I am worried about what you said above. I really want to give her anti-biotics. I have Amoxicilin in caps. I can dissoved it in some water and fill an oral syringe and give it to her. I just need to know if I give her a full dose or half a dose? 500 mg in each cap.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom