Help! Leaky eye and runny nose...

HappyHen1998

Hatching
Sep 19, 2015
Hi, I have one hen that is 26 weeks old. For about a week or two I had seen that just one eye was a little leaky. I figured it would go away but it has not. Today I separated her from the other hens. None of them have anything wrong. Today I gave her bath to clean her up and I noticed that where her leaky eye is that that nostril on the same side looks like it is running. Her other side of her face is fine. She is eating and drinking. Her droppings are fine and she loves to perch and hang with the other girls. She isn't acting weird at all. In fact she looks just as happy as she was before she had this going on. Does anybody know what it might be? Or a natural cure for her? I do not want to give her up or even kill her. I am trying to avoid giving her any antibiotics as much as possible. She is more of my pet than just a provider for me to eat. I will collect the eggs and eat them but that's really it. Please, please, please help me! I just want her to be okay! Thank you!

Welcome to BYC. She may just have a virus such as infectious bronchitis, or she could have mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) A test would be the only way to know for sure. Depending on the strains of whatever they have, they can be mild or severe. Some diseases are viral, some bacterial or mycoplasmas, and some fungal. Here is a good link to read about common diseases:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Hey I had the same issue with my bantam we tried everything and read everything about what it could be and how to treat it. My bantam died of this and still don't know what exactly what it was that killed her. Good luck with yours any questions just ask. Cheers jack

Hey guys! Thanks for the help. She has been looking a lot better, I have been cleaning her up and watching her for the past few days. Her eye is still leaking but she doesn't have that runny nose going on anymore. I will keep looking out on her until she is fully back to the way she was. She is also back with the girls again! I don't think it is contagious because my other hens don't have anything or what she has. I remember last month or the month before that my hen Blossom had a leaky eye for about 2 or 3 days and it just went away and she never had it again and neither did the others. That is why I got worried when Montana's eye wouldn't stop. I guess it just takes time. If it doesn't go away by next week then I am going to have to get something for her whether I like it or not. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom