Help! Lethargic chick not eating and barely drinking

bigsis08

Chirping
May 25, 2021
Tennessee, United States
Hi all, I just got 12 chicks from tractor supply (4 Rhode island reds, 4 wynadotte I think, and 4 cinnamon queens). 2 of the 4 cinnamon queens are having trouble.

I found one this morning lying on the ground near the water bowl and the others were just walking right on her. I went to pick her up and they started pecking at her. I cleaned her up (because they were walking on her some had pooped on her wing and back) and separated her. I'm giving her electrolyte water with a little sugar added in too with a syringe. She will take a few drinks when I put it next to her but then lays her head back down and sleeps. She will not take food at all. When I checked on her a few minutes ago she jumped up when she saw me and took some more of the water mixture and went right back to sleep. She will not take egg mixture. My question on this one is I have seen people say it is best to put a friend in there with them but when I do the other chicks freak out and jump trying to escape or peck at the wall. So im worried the already weak one or the hysterical one will get hurt. ive tried a few of the different chicks and they all do the same.

The other I'm not as worried about has pasty butt and it seems like maybe her umbilical cord is still attached. I cleaned her vent but there is what looks like the umbilical cord further toward her stomach. She is eating, drinking and running around with the others but when I just checked her vent again it is very red and swollen. Should I be concerned? Do I just put Vaseline around her vent to help it not clog back up or not since it's already swollen.

Sorry for the long post. I know this is just nature and it doesn't look good but want to give her the best chance I can. TIA

Last edited:
I'd consider keeping her separated but in view of the others so she isn't lonely, but won't risk being trampled.

I'd also get some Poultry Nutri-Drench to see if that can help perk her up enough to eat.

Does she have pasty butt? Is she pooping?

Back
Top Bottom