Help me find out what the look will be!

Oct 30, 2023
California
Howdy! I'm new to this site / forum so thank you for having me!

My name firstly is Brian and I run a rehab for a variety of avian creatures and small mammals off my property in California!

I've recently started a little project of my own in breeding chickens, I have my stunning RJF (Red jungle fowl) rooster paired with 3 Red sex link/Gold Comet Hens! The eggs are in the incubator currently and getting far along. I was wondering if I could get some ideas of what their offspring may look like as either chicks or into adulthood. Attached below are images of both the roo and some of the gals any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

And again glad to be on this forum hope to post some more soon!

Attachments

• IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 32
Howdy! I'm new to this site / forum so thank you for having me!

My name firstly is Brian and I run a rehab for a variety of avian creatures and small mammals off my property in California!
Welcome! It can be a fun place to spend time :)

I've recently started a little project of my own in breeding chickens, I have my stunning RJF (Red jungle fowl) rooster paired with 3 Red sex link/Gold Comet Hens! The eggs are in the incubator currently and getting far along. I was wondering if I could get some ideas of what their offspring may look like as either chicks or into adulthood. Attached below are images of both the roo and some of the gals any help at all would be greatly appreciated!
The offspring should grow up to have lots of red/brown/gold colors. They are more likely to have gold breasts (like the sexlinks have) rather than black breasts on the males (like the Jungle Fowl rooster).

About half the chicks should show black in the tail and some other areas (like their father has), while the other half will have the black changed to white (like the red sexlinks have in their tails and wings and around their necks.) The black vs. white can appear in males or females.

You might be able to sex the chicks by leg color as they grow. Sons should have light legs (yellow like their mothers or white), while daughters should have dark legs like their father. Whether they show the color difference as chicks, or whether they need to grow for a few weeks before you can see it, seems to be a bit hard to predict, so it could go either way.

For things like body shape and length of tail feathers, the offspring will most likely be in between the parent types.

The parents have single combs, clean feet (no feathers there), no crest on the head, no muff/beard on the face, no silkie or frizzle feathers, no extra toes. The chicks should match them in all of these traits.

The offspring should grow up to have lots of red/brown/gold colors. They are more likely to have gold breasts (like the sexlinks have) rather than black breasts on the males (like the Jungle Fowl rooster).

About half the chicks should show black in the tail and some other areas (like their father has), while the other half will have the black changed to white (like the red sexlinks have in their tails and wings and around their necks.) The black vs. white can appear in males or females.

You might be able to sex the chicks by leg color as they grow. Sons should have light legs (yellow like their mothers or white), while daughters should have dark legs like their father. Whether they show the color difference as chicks, or whether they need to grow for a few weeks before you can see it, seems to be a bit hard to predict, so it could go either way.

For things like body shape and length of tail feathers, the offspring will most likely be in between the parent types.

The parents have single combs, clean feet (no feathers there), no crest on the head, no muff/beard on the face, no silkie or frizzle feathers, no extra toes. The chicks should match them in all of these traits.
Thank you so much! I will continue to update this thread with updates when the chicks hatch. However this prediction I think will prove correct!

This is the foundation for the breed I will creating in the future

Also! I've never had myself a RJF hen but i've heard they are excellent brooders on par with silkies in most cases (This could be false its simply been from a friend of mines hens) I was wondering, if this were to be true would this hypothetically be a trait passable to the chicks from the rooste.

My sex link hens want absolutely nothing to do with their calcium coated offspring and won't sit on them for more than 5 minutes after laying so having a broody hen would be lovely!

That rooster is gold/silver split, so about half of his daughters should be silver where the other half would have gold/red (basically making them either black and white patterned or mostly white, depending on whether or not they inherit the gene that turns black to white as NatJ explained), and about half of his sons should be more yellowish like him than reddish in those spots as well. Otherwise, I agree with what NatJ said.

:frow Welcome from New Orleans. I am anxious to see your chicks as they hatch as well as pictures at different ages. Don't forget about us, please, we love pictures.
Absolutely plan to update! Currently we are setting up some new breeding pens and runs for when these guys hatch and reach maturity! We like to be ahead of the curve here at the Byb facility haha.

Currently we got 13 days left to go approximately till these lovely babes greet the world, I will surely be posting updates not only on this batches development but the breed I am producing as a whole while it develops!

I appreciate your interest and thank you so much for the warm welcomes!

That rooster is gold/silver split, so about half of his daughters should be silver where the other half would have gold/red (basically making them either black and white patterned or mostly white, depending on whether or not they inherit the gene that turns black to white as NatJ explained), and about half of his sons should be more yellowish like him than reddish in those spots as well. Otherwise, I agree with what NatJ said.
Oh interesting! Is there anywhere I could find a cross similar in appearance to what my lovely chicks might look like? That you may have seen or have images to share of?

Back
Top Bottom