Help me GopherBoy and BeaverGirl!

You hurt your self with a hammer so you wont to try a nail GUN!!! Anyone else see something wrong with this picture?

Keep the phone in your pocket, its hard to run an call 911 when you've nailed your self to something.

I would go the route of using an electric screw driver. I put things together with it, and it's aLOT safer than a nail gun! Even guys framing houses, who do this for a business, will occasionally shoot a nail through themselves or a buddy. Very dangerous.
smile.png

With an electric drill, you drill the hole just where you want it; remove the drill bit (they come in all different sizes in the kit with your drill) and put a screw into the drill instead. Then insert the screw electrically.
Much nicer and so much safer. Really! You want be afraid of it at all. Honest.

As far as speaking with people at a business; please don't take up their time unless you are going to purchase the item there. These businesses pay their salespeople and depend up the actual sale to pay them and keep their businesses going.
smile.png

Carla

You can use a drill and drill a pilot hole a little smaller than the screw you are going to use, then get a bit for the drill to put a screw in the pilot hole. Just be careful as if it has too much torque, you can break off the head of the screws. You can buy drills that adjust for the torque.

What you are looking for is a "Framing Nailer" air powered of course. You will have to buy nails made for that nailer you buy. Of course you will need and air compressor and sometimes they will sell combo packages.

No to nailer. Use a screw gun and screws. Glory of it is when you screw up it is easy to undo and noone has to know. Just find a drill - and you can get bits - either phillips or straight - that get the job done easily. Save the thumbs!!

Quote:
See, DH did this and first it was the air compressor - $300 and then it was but I have an air compressor I really need a framing nailer. ("Honey you don't want to know." - so I don't) Then it was the special nails etc etc etc

So first he set the pressure too high and the nail went straight through. Then it worked great for a while and even I was impressed at how fast and easy it seemed to be. Then he accidentally turned it to machine gun mode and it shredded the piece of wood. Then he got two nails jammed and spent 45 minutes learning new ways to express his Navy anger in front of children.

The he realized that since it was SO easy he was putting in too many nails and the wood had cracked.

Good drill, pilot hole drill screws. Done. And you generally cannot drill the whole screw into your head before your realize what is happening.

I'm so glad you decided to stick with your drill. Here's my bad experience with a nail gun: My parents decided to build a garage/shop about 10 years ago. I helped. Mom and Dad got some new tools (building a garage was a nice excuse to get some) and one of those was a huge honkin' nail gun. I was helping Mom while she was using it to nail some ceiling joists and she asks if I want to try. Ok, I'll try. She hands it over and I hadn't even held it for 5 seconds before it went off. Not sure if I hit the trigger or it did it on it's own but a nail came shooting out and hit the beam between Mom and I. If the beam wasn't there, the nail would have hit Mom's head. I hand the nail gun back to her and said I needed to do something else - didn't tell her what happened. So, yeah, if I'm going to use nails, I'd rather bang on my own thumb.

Here's a trick I learned from my dad - when screwing stuff together, use two drills. Have one set up with a drill bit to get a pilot hole going. Have the other one set up with the screw bit driver that you need to screw the screws in. It saves time from having to swap bits and drivers out of the same drill.

Back
Top Bottom