Buff Orpington x 3
Deleware x 3
Barred Rock x 3
Red Star x 2
Welsummer (straight run x 3)
Speckled Sussex x 3
Golden Wyandotte x 2
EE's x 6

All from Murray McMurray... Please excuse the poopy paper towel... I changed those out after I took pictures. They just look terrible in the pics, lol.

The general pic.. I tried to label the ones I think I know. I put numbers on a few other to see if you guys can help :) And no, there are not individual pics of each breed.. It was late and the hubby had to run take care of something else, so there are only a few. Also, I'm pretty sure I've got the BR's picked out, they are completely different than the rest of the ones I ordered.

I believe this is a Delaware:

This I think is an EE chick with one I don't know (with the EE in the back?):

This I think is an EE? :

I'm quite certain this is a Golden Lace Wyandotte

I think this is a Red Star:

And I have no idea which one this is:

Thanks in advance!

I should have put, there may not be the number listed in the picture... that's just how many I have total. Sorry!

Looking at that pic though, in the very back I think is the third Buff Orp.

Last edited:
Ok, there should be the following breeds present in these photos:
Buff Orpington x 3
Deleware x 3
Barred Rock x 3
Red Star x 2
Welsummer (straight run x 3)
Speckled Sussex x 3
Golden Wyandotte x 2
EE's x 6

All from Murray McMurray... Please excuse the poopy paper towel... I changed those out after I took pictures. They just look terrible in the pics, lol.

The general pic.. I tried to label the ones I think I know. I put numbers on a few other to see if you guys can help :) And no, there are not individual pics of each breed.. It was late and the hubby had to run take care of something else, so there are only a few. Also, I'm pretty sure I've got the BR's picked out, they are completely different than the rest of the ones I ordered.

I believe this is a Delaware:

This I think is an EE chick with one I don't know (with the EE in the back?):

This I think is an EE? :

I'm quite certain this is a Golden Lace Wyandotte

I think this is a Red Star:

Welsummers and Speckled sussex are very similar as chicks I think. I think these are SS but not too sure.

Thanks in advance!
Put an answer in the box

If you want I could post your thread in the Sussex and Welsummers page and then they can decide which breed the chicks are?

I think you have everything labeled correctly with the exception that EE, Speckled Sussex and Welsummer chicks can be very hard to tell apart at this stage.

Speckled Sussex SHOULD have beige/pink legs, single comb, Welsummer SHOULD have yellow legs, single comb, if you are lucky the EE will have green legs (but they can have any color) and signs of beard/muff and signs of pea comb...again if you are lucky.

Post more photos once they feather in. Your SS will get some nice white spots...Welsummer a bit of spotting but will get some salmon on the chest (girls)...EE's should begin to show more and more partridge patterning and bigger color variation from neck and body.

You can see some of the development of my Avatar chick which turned into a rose combed EE/Wyandotte, and her hatch mate...the other chipmonk...which has turned into a nice Welsummer laying dark brown eggs....click into my June Hatchings.

Nice brood.
Lady of McCamley

Thank you everyone for the replies! Sounds like I just need to wait a bit on the Sussex, Welsummer, and EE's.
Would you say that the chick labeled #6 in the first pic is an EE? It doesn't really look like anyone else.

Thank you everyone for the replies! Sounds like I just need to wait a bit on the Sussex, Welsummer, and EE's.
Would you say that the chick labeled #6 in the first pic is an EE? It doesn't really look like anyone else.
Yes...I would guess chick #6 is an EE...dark legs means it can't be Welsummer or SS (not a full blooded one anyway)....so I would say EE.

#3 looks like my Welsummer girl did when she was a baby...and so does the one just like that one to the right of the marked Delaware...but time will tell.

My chipmunks kept me guessing for a number of weeks...and many people guessed my Wellie would be a Speckled Sussex but she turned out to be a lovely Welsummer laying dark eggs. (Yippee).

Welsummers are autosexing...the girls will have strong eyeliner, and strong "V" on the head...the boys will have a faint smudgy eyeliner and smudgy spot on the head that typically does not join with the dark stripe down the back.

However...when mixed in with Speckled Sussex it is hard to tell if you've got a Welsummer girl or a Speckled Sussex either gender if the leg color isn't true....again SS should have beige/pink legs and Welsummer yellow...but hatchery quality can have some color variations. Your EE's should have green or dark legs...but that doesn't always hold true either.

Have fun with your chicks.
Lady of McCamley

EDITED TO ADD:
Here's a BYC thread showing some great pics of Wellie vs. EE. The chick in the photo that has the green/darker legs and the flat wider comb (will develop into pea comb) vs. the 2 Wellies with yellow legs and clear bumps of a single comb.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/660046/speckled-sussex-or-welsummer
They grew up to be 2 hatchery quality Wellies and one EE

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom