Help ME lol GIRL WITH LOTS OF QUESTIONS ARE PEKIN DUCKS OR DUCKS IN GENERAL

Ellisaluvsducks

Hatching
Feb 26, 2016
1.Do we need an incubator?
2.When do we candle the eggs?
3. Once Ive Candled them and they aren't fertile what do i do with them?
4.Can Duck Siblings mate and have ducklings?
5.What can i do to stop having ducklings (its hard enough taking care of 2 ducks)?
6. What can be replaced instead of duck food mixtures? oatmeal?
7.When do we put them in the incubator?
8.When do duck eggs hatch?
9. Whats the difference between a chicken egg and a duck egg?
OMG PLS HELP I AM CLUELESS

1.to hatch eggs yes

2.day 5,12,19,25 then depending on breed choose when to last candle eggs
(Some ducks hatch later than others so candle 3 days befour hatching when you stop turning them)

3.if not fertile then throw them out

4.yes they can but ducklings would die early or would be deformed
(You do mother son father daughter)

5.what do you mean to stop having ducklings?

6.duck food is best

7.what do you mean?

8.sucks such as Pekins hatch day 28 but Muscovies hatch day 35

9.a duck egg is bigger and duck eggs taste stronger

Hope this helps

1.Do we need an incubator?
2.When do we candle the eggs?
3. Once Ive Candled them and they aren't fertile what do i do with them?
4.Can Duck Siblings mate and have ducklings?
5.What can i do to stop having ducklings (its hard enough taking care of 2 ducks)?
6. What can be replaced instead of duck food mixtures? oatmeal?
7.When do we put them in the incubator?
8.When do duck eggs hatch?
9. Whats the difference between a chicken egg and a duck egg?
OMG PLS HELP I AM CLUELESS

Hi!

I am not a hatcher, and ChickenGrass has answered you, but I'll add a few things.

There is a thread called Who's Right Who's Wrong No One https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/978237/she-said-he-said-whos-right-whos-wrong-no-one lots of hatchers there.

If you want to have ducklings, with many breeds of domestic ducks, an incubator is the sure way to go. Some Pekins are broody(they will sit on eggs), but many are not.

Candling takes place at different intervals during incubation. At about a week or so, and then farther along. There is a sticky on hatching waterfowl. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

Duck birth control is easy. Every day, take the eggs and put them in the frij. Eat them or share them. You can even make great paint with them.

If you want to make your own duck food, there's alot to learn. Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks has a recipe in it. And Joybilee Farm has published her recipe for livestock and poultry feed. Mother Earth News has published at least a couple of articles on raising your own feed. Oatmeal is okay as a small part of a duck's diet. But there are many many things oatmeal does not have in it, and a duck would suffer if that's all it had to eat.

Aside from the obvious difference between chicken and duck eggs, duck egg shells generally are thicker than chicken eggs, and can be larger but it depends on the breed. Check out the USDA nutrition guide for details on the differences between them. Duck eggs have 5 times the B12, gram per gram than a chicken egg.

I think most of us start out clueless about ducks. It is a steep learning curve. This forum, Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks and the Ultimate Pet Duck Guidebook have helped me.

Back
Top Bottom