Help me narrow down breeds?

AmeliaBedelia

Crowing
Jan 23, 2021
Georgia, USA
Here are our criteria. Looking to have about 5 hens:

1. Friendly/docile (these will be “egg laying pets”)
2. Relatively quiet (we have neighbors nearby)
3. No bantams (straight run not a great idea since we have to rehome or cull any roosters 😬)
4. No feathered feet - our back garden tends to get muddy during summer rains
5. Son loves golden/buff or black and white hens, so one that is one of those colors
6. My husband thinks all black chickens “look creepy” (I think it’s the all-black eyes), so those are out 🤷‍♀️
7. I don’t think we want hybrids since they seem to develop more health issues
8. Good egg-laying, a variety of colors, etc is a bonus
9. I would love to get a couple that tend to lay closer to year-round
10. We definitely get hot weather (90s F), usually our winter lows are only slightly below freezing (occasionally a night will dip below 20F), rarely get snow but a light snow is possible. So heat tolerant is a must, but thinking all-around temperature tolerance is best.

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone willing to share a breed that comes to mind! We are debating doing a catalogue order and selling the extras vs going to a local feed store that carries different breeds each week. 🤔 The number of options is pretty overwhelming though!

The number of options is pretty overwhelming though!
I'm gonna throw out a vote for Easter eggers. Noting for point #9 that most all lay through the first winter but will molt and take a break from laying by their 2nd winter. Many of us add in a couple new layers each year to combat this lull in production, selling off a couple older (least favorite) layers earlier in the year while still productive (with disclosure) if needed to make space.

Also including a couple of comparison charts..

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

https://www.canr.msu.edu/uploads/234/69325/Chicken_Breed_Chart_to_Help_Choose_Your_Chicken.pdf

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/chicken-breeds/

I guess araucana would work? All of my breeds are something you don't want besides them. Just not sure you'd want to get them because you'd have to buy pullets from someone and that's going to cost a lot
Aw, sorry. Was not trying to “diss” any breeds, just sharing how we had narrowed down so far.

I would LOVE araucana, but likely out of our price range…but maybe an ameraucana?

I'm a first time chicken owner. I had trouble narrowing down what breeds to get myself. I ordered 16 chicks from Meyers, of 10 different breeds. I did want other breeds, but I had to choose from what was hatching on that particular day. I ordered 15 hens and 1 rooster. But 1 of my Frizzled Easter Eggers were born with a deformity and passed away at 6 weeks of age.

For hens I have:
1x Blue (BBS) Ameraucana
1x Buff Orpington
1x Cream Legbar
1x Rhode Island Red
1x Black Jersey Giant
1x Frizzled Easter Egger
2x Fibro Easter Eggers
2x Black Copper Marans
2x Buff Brahmas
2x Cookies & Cream
And my rooster is a Blue (BBS) Ameraucana.

Out of all those breeds, my Buff Orpington is by far the friendliest. Next would be the Buff Brahmas, but you specifically said no feathered feet, so those would be ruled out. And coming in at 3rd friendliest, would be my Frizzled Easter Egger. The cookies and cream, which are black and white, are friendly as well, but they're also the smallest chickens on that list. They aren't bantam, they're just small. The Black Copper Marans are also friendly. My rooster is very friendly so far at 18 weeks. But the matching Blue (BBS) Ameraucana is on the skittish side.

Back
Top Bottom