Help me with my run.

HaleyDurnin

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2019
Tacoma, Washington
Tomorrow my Papa is coming over to help me set up the fencing for my run. (He also built my coop for me because he is amazing. I plan on painting/decorating it and I will have to post pictures)
I need help on options for the flooring of the run. In post forums I have read all of the run floors are flat. I was going to put my girls in an area that had a little bit of moundage. Nothing crazy, but certainly not "flat", will that be an issue?
My second question is I was going to go bare earth with thee girls, after some reading I am wondering if that isn't a good idea? I am wondering if I should go with the deep litter method, and if so how to do that and what to use. As well as what is your favorite thing to use in the coops?
I live in rainy ol' Washington state by the way.

Thanks in advance!

In post forums I have read all of the run floors are flat. I was going to put my girls in an area that had a little bit of moundage. Nothing crazy, but certainly not "flat", will that be an issue?

My second question is I was going to go bare earth with thee girls, after some reading I am wondering if that isn't a good idea? I am wondering if I should go with the deep litter method, and if so how to do that and what to use. As well as what is your favorite thing to use in the coops?

Runs don't have to be flat, though with anything sloped you need to be aware of how rain flows in the area, so that you don't end up having the majority of the run in an area where water collects.

Bare earth isn't a good idea because it'll likely end up as mud once the chickens churn up the dirt and rain water and poop get mixed in. Deep litter is IMO a great way to go in the Pac NW as we have a lot of natural materials around to use (wood chips, bark, pine needles) so cost of materials is generally very low. The litter forms a drier surface layer that lets rain water fall through.

Back
Top Bottom