Help! Mean Rooster

Pamela23

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2022
20220805_160015 - Copy.jpg

I have 5 hens and rooster, they are all a little over a year old and I got them all as chicks at the same time. One turned out to be rooster, and he's gorgeous, but he has gotten mean. The first few times he attacked I chased him and caught him and held him down for a minute or so in front of the hens. This worked for a few weeks where he would avoid me when I entered the run. I've done this about 3 different times but he goes right back to it after a few weeks and now he's gotten pretty big. He puffs up and comes at me spurs out. I have to block myself with the large water container I'm carrying or kick at him to get him to back off but he'll keep coming. I keep at it until he retreats. I can usually tell when he's in an aggressive mood because he stands tall and starts spreading his neck feathers at me. Other times he retreats but if I turn my back on him he'll come at me. I don't know what to do. Do I cull him? Try to rehome him to someone who might like him for a free range flock? He's a great protector of his flock but I feel he's becoming a danger to me or anyone else who may need to enter the run to care for them (like my adult son or friends) when we're out of town for a vacation or something. Plus, I'd like to just sit with my hens and I can't do that with him there. I frequently bring treats too, all the hens come running, he stands back and watches me when I have treats. What do I do with him?

First you need to show him you are not there to hurt him but you are the Alfa. Hand feed him treats if possible even if it is through netting so he knows you are the provider. To ward off an attack try stomping your feet, spraying water at him when he attacks, or walking towards him. Don’t do anything that would hurt you, but never turn your back to him

I have chickens for my enjoyment. I do not enjoy being around a aggressive rooster. Generally the people who have had chickens for years or decades, will tell you, they waited too long to cull the first mean rooster. It was such a relief when it was done.

I have had fabulous roosters -3, I have had so-so roosters, and I have had rotten roosters. I am positive, forthright and not frightened of birds. I have had them raised by broody hens (slightly better results) I have had hatch mates (slightly worse results) mine are not terrified or me or lap pets. I have come the conclusion that they are a crap shoot. The tighter the confinement, and the smaller the flock - tends to be more aggressive, but you can have a mean one charge you clear across a pasture. There just is not perfect way to get perfect roosters.

There really is not a way - as in if you do this, or don't do that, if you wear this, or don't wear that, if you feed them by hand or don't carry a bucket or... that works 100% of the time.

Mrs K

Its personality. I sold off the three cockerells I had that would out right kick me in the calf. I still have six left, two Phoenix who get out of my way are pretty much great. Two Spitzhauben who really stay out of the way and are great as well. One Ameraucana who is awesome and my favorite of all the roosters. A second Ameraucana that likes to bite toes and fingers hes not that bad and I've learned his personality.

He doesn't attack unless hes startelled and only when in his face trying to grab him. I now get him turned around with his back to me to pick up and I move slow it's made all the difference.

If he's out right attacking I would cull. I'm not sure I would even sell but if you do this just let them know his behavior issues.

I have chickens for my enjoyment. I do not enjoy being around a aggressive rooster. Generally the people who have had chickens for years or decades, will tell you, they waited too long to cull the first mean rooster. It was such a relief when it was done.

I have had fabulous roosters -3, I have had so-so roosters, and I have had rotten roosters. I am positive, forthright and not frightened of birds. I have had them raised by broody hens (slightly better results) I have had hatch mates (slightly worse results) mine are not terrified or me or lap pets. I have come the conclusion that they are a crap shoot. The tighter the confinement, and the smaller the flock - tends to be more aggressive, but you can have a mean one charge you clear across a pasture. There just is not perfect way to get perfect roosters.

There really is not a way - as in if you do this, or don't do that, if you wear this, or don't wear that, if you feed them by hand or don't carry a bucket or... that works 100% of the time.

Mrs K
Thank you so much! This is good to hear and helps me make a hard decision to cull.

Its personality. I sold off the three cockerells I had that would out right kick me in the calf. I still have six left, two Phoenix who get out of my way are pretty much great. Two Spitzhauben who really stay out of the way and are great as well. One Ameraucana who is awesome and my favorite of all the roosters. A second Ameraucana that likes to bite toes and fingers hes not that bad and I've learned his personality.

He doesn't attack unless hes startelled and only when in his face trying to grab him. I now get him turned around with his back to me to pick up and I move slow it's made all the difference.

If he's out right attacking I would cull. I'm not sure I would even sell but if you do this just let them know his behavior issues.
Yeah, this guy comes at you with his spurs. Not every time though, he can't be trusted. IF I had someone else take him I would definitely disclose his propensity for a nasty disposition.

I had two roosters same breed one was nice one was mean. After two years of playing the rooster dance and several flogs later, we got a kill cone and decided to end the madness. It was not the easiest decision, but honestly I can say the kill cone is the way to go and since then it’s been way less stressful. We tried to rehome and submission tactics both were failures.

Back
Top Bottom