help - mereks or wry or something else

Paralysis due to the bacterium in avian botulism will cause paralysis which is typically in my experience first seen in the neck or hip area, which could explain th wry neck. Also, if a nutrient deficiency is suspected, you must always give birds selenium and vit e together or else their bodies can't absorb them.

I found Petunia, Saturday after noon tripping and falling over and tumbling around while she was free ranging. She is inside in a crate now and not eating or drinking. Head is laying over her back. She can't walk and will not eat or drink. Another girl, .Big Booty Betty, was found after returning from a short 4 day vacation during Thanksgiving week. She was found her in the corner of the run laying with her head on her back. I was not prepared for all this pain when I decided to keep chickens. This will be 2 gone within a month. I can't take losing them. They are 8 months and I read Mereks normally hits before 6 months old.
Can a blood test tell what is going on?

Petunia is in Alabama, temps in 40's and 50's at night. there is a compost pile that they rummage through when free ranging. I thought that was ok though.

The 4 month old pullet that I've been treating for Wry Neck with the home remedy that I shared with you is improving and can now preen and walk around. Did you try the remedy? You can PM me if you'd like.

I can only advise you as to what I would do in your case, and that is to treat the symptoms and hope something works. But you need to prepare yourself for this hen not making it. From your description, she sounds pretty far gone already.

There is a strong indication for botulism or mold poisoning since your hen is exhibiting neurological symptoms. I would treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic. But you will probably need the help of a vet in obtaining the medication due to new FDA rules. Treating for rye neck, too, wouldn't hurt.

Yes, thanks for all the great advice. I can't think of how they got Botulism unless they got into something rotting in compost pile. I thought it was ok for them to rummage through compost.

I don't think she will make it through the day since I work and am not home to care for her. If she is still with me when I get home, I will try everything mentioned.

I have no idea where they would get mold poisoning. Should I empty out food containers and wash them with Clorox?

Thanks

Mold poisoning can occur when chickens eat moldy feed, either from their feeders or the stored feed getting damp or from rooting around in a compost pile where coop and run litter containing discarded feed has been placed.

Botulism toxin can grow in compost piles that have become very wet and compacted, creating anaerobic conditions where botulism is always naturally present and allowing the toxin to grow and multiply.

You might want to examine these sources to see if any of the conditions mentioned are present and take corrective measures if you find them so you don't end up with more sick birds.

Back
Top Bottom