HELP, minutes old chick with red bulb

Kweentut

In the Brooder
May 20, 2023
Help, we had a chick just hatch in the incubator. It has a large red bulb possibly coming from vent or navel?? I am not sure. I have read several post regarding the yolk sac but then saw some about the intestines being outside. Can you tell by my photos what it is and how I can help? Thank you!
20230520_160956.jpg
20230520_161051.jpg

It started bleeding, do I need to worry about infection? It seems a bit smaller now and not nearly as red. We moved her away from the other eggs and cleaned the incubator. She now in a make shift brooder with a heat lamp.

It should dry up, and typically infection isn't a concern unless tissues are protruding. What I saw in your photos is just the yolk still being absorbed - but that's not a prolapse, I don't think. I'd just keep her on a clean surface in her brooder, though. If it's hemorrhaging, like lots and lots of blood, there's not much you can do. Apply light pressure with a bit of paper towel until bleeding stops and keep your fingers crossed.

If you're worried, it wouldn't hurt to apply some antibiotic ointment (without pain relief) to the navel area.

Baby chick hatched late Saturday afternoon. Yolk sac was red and big. It bled some and is now drying. Baby has some dried blood on legs and belly. Can I use a wet towel to tidy it up a bit? Or a small soak in water? Maybe a hibicleanse soak? I am worried about the sac pulling off. Baby is eating, drinking, and pooping.
20230522_221458.jpg

Baby chick hatched late Saturday afternoon. Yolk sac was red and big. It bled some and is now drying. Baby has some dried blood on legs and belly. Can I use a wet towel to tidy it up a bit? Or a small soak in water? Maybe a hibicleanse soak? I am worried about the sac pulling off. Baby is eating, drinking, and pooping.View attachment 3516386
No, don't get the egg sac wet. I've had chicks hatch like this before. Getting it wet invites infection and slows the drying and falling off. One thing I noticed with chicks like this is they tend to have a harder time keeping warm and cry a lot more than other chicks even though they're keeping up with eating and drinking the same, so when they eventually make the move outside be sure to keep the warmer heat available for this one.

No, don't get the egg sac wet. I've had chicks hatch like this before. Getting it wet invites infection and slows the drying and falling off. One thing I noticed with chicks like this is they tend to have a harder time keeping warm and cry a lot more than other chicks even though they're keeping up with eating and drinking the same, so when they eventually make the move outside be sure to keep the warmer heat available for this one.
Thank you so much!!

It should dry up, and typically infection isn't a concern unless tissues are protruding. What I saw in your photos is just the yolk still being absorbed - but that's not a prolapse, I don't think. I'd just keep her on a clean surface in her brooder, though. If it's hemorrhaging, like lots and lots of blood, there's not much you can do. Apply light pressure with a bit of paper towel until bleeding stops and keep your fingers crossed.

If you're worried, it wouldn't hurt to apply some antibiotic ointment (without pain relief) to the navel area.
Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom