Help! My cat is peeing everywhere!

Do you watch her go to the litter box? Is she hesitant or a bit frantic? I'm wondering if she isn't quite making it in time (bladder control) or if she wants to go in the box so she goes to the box and then decides not to get in the box and going outside the box is the closest she can get without actually getting in it. Has anything changed aside from the medication? Did you get a new litterbox? Change the brand of litter? Move something closer to the box so the area around the box is different now?

If nothing has changed, maybe it needs to. No matter how clean I keep the litterbox, after a while, it starts to smell 'off.' The urine has impregnated the plastic and I need to replace it. If the brand of litter you use has a fragrance, try a different, unscented litter. My cat was sick this one particular time and he stopped going in the box. I had to change litter brands; he wouldn't use the coarse, gravelly litter all of a sudden and when I switched to a sandy litter, he was fine about going in the box again.

Do you watch her go to the litter box? Is she hesitant or a bit frantic? I'm wondering if she isn't quite making it in time (bladder control) or if she wants to go in the box so she goes to the box and then decides not to get in the box and going outside the box is the closest she can get without actually getting in it. Has anything changed aside from the medication? Did you get a new litterbox? Change the brand of litter? Move something closer to the box so the area around the box is different now?

If nothing has changed, maybe it needs to. No matter how clean I keep the litterbox, after a while, it starts to smell 'off.' The urine has impregnated the plastic and I need to replace it. If the brand of litter you use has a fragrance, try a different, unscented litter. My cat was sick this one particular time and he stopped going in the box. I had to change litter brands; he wouldn't use the coarse, gravelly litter all of a sudden and when I switched to a sandy litter, he was fine about going in the box again.

She does sometimes go to the litterbox but when we go out we return to find a puddle of pee by her litter box. We have not gotten another litterbox and we use plastic covers underneath the litter so the urine can't get to the plastic. We did change the brand of litter but that was because of another reason BEFORE this started to occur. The other litter was irritating her and she was loosing her fur where it touched her. She now has a corn/natural litter. It has no fragrance. Nothing has been moved in the area either. She still keeps on peeing. :|

I don't what else to suggest other than a bigger litterbox.

Although, I did have a cat that once he got up there in age (he was 21 when he passed) he would squat in the box and then as he was peeing, he would slowly stand up. About halfway up, the stream would start overshooting the side wall of the litter box and there would be a puddle on the floor or a spray on the wall depending on which way he was facing. I got rubber mats -- I think they were mats for under food and water dishes so anything that is sloshed out doesn't wet the floor. I put one under the litterbox and tacked one to the wall on the spots that caught the overspray. He was an old boy and I knew he didn't have much longer, so I just dealt with it as best as I could, you know?

So yeah, rubber mats and/or puppy pads will save your floor.

If she is on diuretics chances are she just can't make it. I know people with the same problem and for the same reason. You are just going to have to get something to put around and under the litterbox to protect the floor.

All good advice, since you can't put another litter box compromise and get a larger one. If you have a Home Depot, ask for their black mixing tubs, love those. Side maybe too high but perhaps you can get someone to cut a lower entry. IF she's peeing outside when the litter is clean, then this may not be the case but I had a cat that wanted it's litter box clean so I had to clean frequently. Assuming you haven't changed litter, is the entry to the box one way or can she get in for other sides" You could also place those disposable bed liners under the litter box.

You may want to call the Vet and inform them of this happening, they may have some recommendations. Hope she feels better soon

Back
Top Bottom