HELP! My chicken has a broken foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken no. 5

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 27, 2011
Can someone please help me.

My son stood on his favorite pet chicken & it appears to now have a broken foot.

She seems quite alert & can stand up but she is not using that sore foot at all & it drags behind her. She is eating & drinking well but just can't move around very well. I have checked her leg & all seems good, just like the other one. Her foot is really swollen but dosn't seem to be sore to touch. If I put the foot in the right place under her she will try & hobble around but if she lays down & try's to get back up herself the foot ends up dragging behind her. My son is so upset that he was the won to stand on her & is begging me to fix her up.

Please help. I have read about strapping the leg & foot but with no pictures it is hard to know the correct way to do it. I don't want to hurt her anymore.

Thank you

Take a deep breath, the chicken will most likely be fine.

Chickens have an amazing ability to heal.
Here is what I sugest. Get a stick popsicle stick or chopstick, whatever and some medical or masking tape.
If you want, you can give the chicken a tiny bit of aspirin for pain relief (I use a knife to scrape a bit off the tablet). Like 1/4 or less of a tablet, put it on a bit of something yummy like a grape, or bread soaked in milk or some canned corn.
Then while one person holds the chicken's leg in proper (what you think is best) straight position, another person puts the stick (you may need to shorten the stick) next to the leg and tapes it up. This is in order to stabilize and support the leg.
Then let the chicken have a quiet place to rest. You may want to remove and rebandage her leg every few days, just to make sure it is not bound too tight.
Make sure the chicken has plenty to drink and food to eat.

If you are spiritual, prayer won't hurt either.

Sorry your chicken got hurt,
I have seen them recover from worse.
hugs.gif

Thank you for your reply.

I did try strapping the leg but the foot just hangs. I am not sure how to do it properly & if i should do the foot as well.

i think it is broken where the foot bends but am not really sure.

Poor hen! There is a lot od great advice on this forum. Mostly likely over time she will heal just fine! Chickens are very tough!
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from WA. glad you joined us
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

Welcome to BYC.
welcome-byc.gif
These folks here are great. I learned more here about chickens than anywhere else. I hope her leg heals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom