Help my chicken has a swollen leg and has a hard time walking on it.

Nathan1234

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 22, 2014
Not sure if it's a disease or an injury. She's been limping for aprox two weeks.

Not sure if it's a disease or an injury. She's been limping for aprox two weeks.
Examine the foot, look for maybe possible bug bite or spider bite, look for cuts that perhaps are infected now, could be a sign of Mereks but I think I would examine her better first, does she drag the foot or just hold it under her but won't apply weight on it. Check her foot pad, perhaps she stepped on a bee and theres a little tiny hair like stinger still in her. try sending a pic of the bottom of her feet..

It could be a few things such as a bad sprain with swelling, gout or mycoplasma synoviae, both of witch can cause swelling of one or both feet and legs. Viral arthritis seems to affect the leg, but not the feet from my reading. I would make her rest the legs for 2 weeks in a cage with food and water that is near the other chickens, so that she remains part of the flock. If it is a sprain it should start getting better. Here are some links to read about gout and MS: http://en.engormix.com/MA-poultry-i.../avian-gout-causes-treatment-t1246/165-p0.htm
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/99/mycoplasma-synoviae-infection-ms-infectious-synovitis

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I looked under her foot and there are no obvious signs of injury. I will look up gout to see what causes it etc.

The leg seems even more swollen. Not sure what to do. If it's a disease I wonder if it needs to be culled so that the other chickens don't get it. She seems like she is in a lot of pain when she tries to walk. My son would be very sad.

If it is mycoplasma synoviae, it may respond to an antibiotic such as Tylan 50 injection, oxytetracycline or Gallimycin in the water. If it is gout, you can acidify the urine with apple cider vinegar in the water and add vitamins daily. Keep the protein level in feed low--16%.

Back
Top Bottom