Help, my chicks don’t go back to the mama heating pad when they’re cold.

It’s been almost 3 weeks now, and, this being Missouri, the temps have gone from 80 to 25 and they’re doing just fine. I’ve been introducing them to the rest of the flock and they’re getting pecked at a bit, but they’re ignored more than anything. Anyway, I wanted to do an update and post pictures. BTW, my carpentry skills are less than stellar, so I’m proud of anything I make that doesn’t immediately fall down. The girls are still getting used to life beyond the brooder box, but are getting more adventurous every day.
Way to go!!!

Way to go!!!
Hey, quick question; my chickens have decided they want to free range in the backyard (I let them out for one lousy hour and it’s how do you keep them down on the farm ever since…). Anyway, I’m letting the babies out for longer and longer periods, they’re enjoying the outdoors and only getting pecked at occasionally. They know to avoid certain hens, and, with the exception of getting separated every once in a while, they seem fairly adept at dealing with the outside world. My question is: when do you think is a good time to let them run around unsupervised?

Well I was pretty comfortable today, but when I went outside the run, I heard and then saw a hawk sitting on the power lines that run overhead. Needless to say, I fell right back into discomfort, and put them back in their brooder box. Actually, that’s the 1st hawk I’ve seen hanging around the back yard; I get a bad feeling it’s not the last, but we’ll see.

I also wanted to ask about letting the babies roost with the other chickens. Should I just leave their brooder box open and let them decide to move on, or is there something else involved? Will the other chickens automatically snuggle with them to keep them warm? This week is supposed to be unseasonably cold, so I’m a little concerned about taking the heat away.

Back
Top Bottom