Help- My eggs are 22 days, I heard chirping on day 20 but no chicks or even pipping yet.

Enzog

Hatching
May 30, 2016
I have a Serama sitting 6 eggs, I heard chirping 2 days ago but still no sign of chicks - I guess I'm on day 22...any advice?

Neither can we
wink.png

Happy, happy, joy, joy! So happy for you.
Broodhilda came off the nest today with five peeps. Sounds like you, too, will have cutie pie peeps real soon. Donna in Dandridge, Tennessee.

Welcome to BYC! Take a good flashlight and candle the eggs. Look in the air cell for signs of movement, beaks etc. While you're at it, mark the air cell line with a pencil or something non-toxic. Now take a sharp, thin object (I use a sewing needle) and carefully score an X above the air cell line, in the clear area. Keep scoring over and over until you broke through the shell. Now carefully remove a small piece of the shell with a pair of tweezers. Just big enough so you can peek inside and see what's going on in there. Let me know what you see?

Hi thanks for the reply. I went out to the eggs and I couldn't be sure which egg was chirping I have candled again heard no chirping but I think I can see movement so I am now doubting the age of egg.

I would leave all alone. If all is OK your messing about won't help and if things are not OK, messing about won't do any good. Momma birds been setting eggs for millions of years without human 'help.' 21 days is just an average and it can take several days to hatch. I have broody on eggs that were 21 days on Monday and one hatched Sunday, three hatched Monday and some more are hatching today. Donna in Dandridge, Tennessee

GREAT NEWS!!!! I just checked and can see broken eggshe'll in the nest and hear chirping under the mum!!!!

Yey indeed.. looks like they have thrown the shells out of the nest( I have 2 broody hens sitting) and my rooster is standing guard at the entrance to the eglu. Cannt wait to see them

Back
Top Bottom