HELP!! My hen has blood coming out of her vent!!!

ohiobirdmom

In the Brooder
Nov 16, 2015
i went outside to open up for free range this morning and I noticed one of my laying hens has blood dripping from her vent!! She won't let me catch her and I can't get even close enough to look under there and try and see what's going on! I'm so worried about her. Does anyone know what this could be and what I do? I have some corid left from when my silkie was sick. And I treated the rest with preventative dose for 2weeks after my silkie passed. Should I give her a dose of that? The rest are all healthy as can be and happy. I'm at a total loss here and I'm totally clueless as of what I should do! I have never even heard of a bleeding vent! Can someone please help?

I would try to calm down and tempt her into the coop with a treat to try and catch her. otherwise you may have to wait until she goes to the roost tonight. Blood from the vent might be from vent pecking by the other birds, a prolapsed vent that has been pecked, or from bloody droppings or discharge. I would try to figure out what is actually wrong before giving her medication. Pictures here can sometimes help. Vent pecking can be a form of cannibalism, and is common in chickens who are bored, have too little room, or who peck feathers for a lack of protein. It can become a habit that spreads. Let us help you figure this out. How old is she, and has she been laying eggs?

pecking-and-cannibalism-in-poultry.jpg
LL

vent pecking

vent+a.jpg

Prolapsed vent

Last edited:
Okay. I tried with a treat. They love worms fruit and gerber puffs for babies (I have a 7month old) so I've tried all 3 and can't get her that way. So I guess I will have to wait until tonight. I'm just worried waiting that long could be harmful.

Edit to add that I am not too sure whether she is laying yet or not. I have 40 hens and on a good day I get between 12-18 eggs a day on slower days between 8-12 I can't be too sure of who is laying and who isn't yet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom