Help! My hen has stopped drinking any water and has barely eaten for 3 weeks.

Her crop also feels very mushy

I just gave her one, along with some water, but when I did, I noticed that she sounded really mucousy! And I'm wondering if her crop might be full of mucous

Her crop feels sort of mushy
☝️☝️☝️ Hmmm....I'd check the crop. 👇👇👇
Her crop doesn't feel real full, and she does poop a little... I also don't smell anything at all... and no, the vet didn't run a fecal float... I've asked about checking chicken's droppings before and he seemed to think it wasn't worth doing... or would be too expensive

Hi Tookie, Just a little, and she seems a bit warm. But she isn't bloated like with ascites I've gone through that before. Plus, although I wasn't there when my partner took her to the vet, he did check her out and I think he would have drained her if he'd noticed that. Are you thinking something else? Thanks.
I was just wondering if she did have ascites, but you've delt with it before so you would know if she has it. But if you say she seems a little bloated it could be a early case of ascites so keep an eye on her abdomen.

I also don't like the yellow in your hen's poo. Could she have had a broken egg in her abdomen? Has she laid any soft eggs (shell less eggs) recently? Or thin shelled eggs?
She laid very sporadically last year, and none this year, except that she did pass a soft egg, but it was way back in February....

☝️☝️☝️ Hmmm....I'd check the crop. 👇👇👇
Tonight, I gave her water and spoonfed some watered down beef baby food and then massaged her crop quite a bit... but didn't really feel anything fibrous in it, and I smelled her beak yet again, and didn't smell anything either... what route do you think I should go? Just go ahead and use nystatin?

Last edited:
@Wyorp Rock @Ursuline Chick @Tookie
I was trying to find a photo of the thin shell she passed and didn't, but here's a photo of one of her droppings while I was out of town on May 19th - they are really green! So maybe this might shed some light on the problem...that said, she did used to eat arugula first thing in the morning. Also, as I'm reading up on crop issues and worms, I'm remembering that before I left town, she was usually having very small droppings, often, but small, and I was puzzled by that. Could she be impacted by worms? If so, what should I give her first thing in the morning if I don't know what kind of worms she might have (again, there have been no visible worms at all. I'm sure we would have seen them since she is in the house so much and I check her droppings each morning...

IMG_0213.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Ursuline Chick!
Yes, she's our only chicken after Tracy and then Blondie died! Before them, there was one other chicken, Turken, and when she died she really went into mourning. So we went out and quickly got Tracy and Blondie... now, I'm just so afraid of Mareks... and wondering if Penny has something new chickens could contract.... but maybe I should get some anyway.... there is a neighbor that is moving away and is looking to place her chickens... I just would have to make sure they've been vaccinated.
Thanks!
Ducks can’t get Mareks if they is helpful at all.

Two things, I’d try massaging her crop too see if there is a blockage or maybe coiled up grass or something else she can’t pass. The other thing I would try is what we call the “spa bath” for our hens who are having digestive issues or if there’s an egg that didn’t pass properly. I get a five gallon bucket which is just the right size for most hens to stand up in. Make sure the water is slightly warmer than chicken temperature, mix a little unscented Epsom salts — maybe a couple of tablespoons. When you’re sure you’ve got the water the right temp, hold her body so you’re holding her wings too and put her in the bucket. I usually hold them on there for about 15-20 minutes. If you’re brave, you can put some petroleum jelly on your finger and see if you can feel an egg or egg shells inside her. You’ll need to make sure she’s dry before you put her back outside. I usually towel them off as best I can. While you’re holding her wrapped in a towel is a good opportunity to see if she will drink a few drops from your finger. I have a “chicken hospital” box where I can keep them until I feel like they’re ready to return to the run. Hoping she gets better soon!

Check to see if it empties overnight?
Yes, I will do that. I know I checked one morning and it seemed smaller... but without her eating much it's hard to tell... I'll also add that I've felt a "doughy" crop before and this doesn't feel doughy... that's why I said mucousy.... especially when we gave her the pill and the sound we heard, sounded like mucous... can you think of anything that would cause her crop to have mucous? Any idea?

If so, what should I give her first thing in the morning if I don't know what kind of worms she might have (again, there have been no visible worms at all. I'm sure we would have seen them since she is in the house so much and I check her droppings each morning...
Did the vet run a fecal float to check for internal parasites whenever your partner took her in? Not all internal parasites are visible to the naked eye, so having the vet check would be a very good idea. I wish you and your sweet hen the best 💜

Back
Top Bottom