Help, my hens are broken

Roadside Ginger

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2023
So, I built a nice pen and hutch under the cool shade of my florida banana trees. They didn't like the hutch, so I built a bigger one, they don't like it at night either. They insist sleeping under tomato plants. So I built a lean to for shelter and put hay down for bedding. Tonight they are sleeping on top of the shelter. What's the deal?

Attachments

• 20230826_203545.jpg
    20230826_203545.jpg
    763.1 KB · Views: 34
So, I built a nice pen and hutch under the cool shade of my florida banana trees. They didn't like the hutch, so I built a bigger one, they don't like it at night either. They insist sleeping under tomato plants. So I built a lean to for shelter and put hay down for bedding. Tonight they are sleeping on top of the shelter. What's the deal?
Angry Homer Simpson GIF

From what I understand, chickens don't naturally go into a strange environment and feel secure. If they feel insecure, they naturally go to the highest place to roost. The higher they go the safer they feel, because when they sleep, they are lights out, not conscious. You need to put them into the coop and let them acclimate themselves, so they know it is their safe place. I know some people put them in the coop for a couple of days straight to get them accustomed to it. Once they figure that is their safe place, they will go in at sunset and roost automatically. I have had to put my chickens in at night and shut the door to keep them in at night for about a week and know they just go in on their own every night. I hope this helps. Good luck! :)

I agree they will always get as high up as possible. My hens like to hide out they act like they don't want to be found. especially when I gather eggs. Sometimes I wonder if my hens are thinking "damn she found our nests again. Now we gotta find a new spot" lol maybe whenever you find them and make improvements to their hide out. They are unable to hide there anymore.

If it makes you feel better to see them in a box, build another box right above the one you have or hang a box higher than everything else around .

I have a suspension nesting box with space between the "roof" and the box.
They can choose , in the box or above it.
Get rid of those thick stems, leave just the leaves. Some chickens don't like laying on that stuff.

Back
Top Bottom