HELP! MY HEN'S LEG GOT EATEN TO BONE AND SHE IS STILL ALIVE!

Lianna

Hatching
Oct 16, 2017
My chicken got her WHOLE LEFT LEG EATEN BY A RAT!
She is STILL breathing!
I dont know what to do!
Can she still live!?
How can I help her?

• Her breed is a Plymouth Rock!
  • I just got home from school and I saw her laying down eyes closed and stiff.
  • She wasn't moving so I went to check.
  • I flipped her and her leg was stripped to her bone!
  • Her heart and insides are still in her and alive but the rats ate her whole leg!
:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC, but sorry about your chicken. Put pressure on the wound with gauze or a rag, and hold it there. Is there any part of the leg remaining for a tourniquet? Do you have a vet who will see her right away? Has she lost a lot of blood already? Is she alert or unresponsive, and do you know how long ago this happened? I would think about putting her down if she is in poor shape. Chickens can get around with only one leg, but she still could develop infection or bleed out with that type of wound. Saline, betadine, Hibiclens are all good for wound care. Plain neosporin ointment is good to use after cleaning. Vetericyn wound spray is also good. Get her drinking some water if she is awake. Keep her warm and in a dim quiet spot. Do a check of your coop to fix holes so the other chickens are not in danger.

Welcome to BYC, but sorry about your chicken. Put pressure on the wound with gauze or a rag, and hold it there. Do you have a vet who will see her right away? Has she lost a lot of blood already? Is she alert or unresponsive, and do you know how long ago this happened? I would think about putting her down if she is in poor shape. Chickens can get around with only one leg, but she still could develop infection or bleed out with that type of wound. Saline, betadine, Hibiclens are all good for wound care. Plain neosporin ointment is good to use after cleaning. Vetericyn wound spray is also good. Get her drinking some water if she is awake. Keep her warm and in a dim quiet spot. Do a check of your coop to fix holes so the other chickens are not in danger.
Thank You so much. By reading your suggestions , sadly i think i need to put her down.
Literally im happy you replied fast! Its sad that I have to but thank you!

I had the same problem 2 years ago, but aw had a wing eatin! I fixed her up by cleaning it with alchohol and keeping her in her own cage inside, after a few weeks I let her back out, she is still laying. And perfectly healthy,

Let us know if she makes it or you put her down. Having rats that will bite chickens can be very hard to manage. Many times rats will eat spilled feed, but meat-eating rats have to be dealt with swiftly. Chickens may need to be in 1/2 hardware cloth cages until this is solved. Locked rat bait stations loaded with Just One Bite work well outside of chicken areas around a coop. Mouse bait stations are too small for rats.

shopping
shopping
shopping

Back
Top Bottom