Help! My RIR pullet is drawing blood!

Nah...I see a couple for sure cockerels.... #3 & #5...maybe one other, but not all of them.
It'll be another month or so before hackle and saddle feathers grow in.

I looked again and ill stand by my first assessment. besides the white one they are surely boys. The neck(hackle) feathers tips are another way to tell and the pointed are boys again blunt tips are girls. look are the neck feathers and tail feathers in these pics and you see boys. The white is indistinguishable the EE's are boys. The red looks to be a male too. A better pic would help.

I go by comb coloring at that age(~10 weeks)..hackle and saddle feathers won't grow in until they are 14-16 weeks old.

I go by comb coloring at that age(~10 weeks)..hackle and saddle feathers won't grow in until they are 14-16 weeks old.
True. But the fledgling feathers in the tail and neck aready exhibit distict tips in relation to gender. I would encourage all to explore this method of "sexing" all fledglings. Take any 6 week old bird (other than naked necks) and look for your self. The feathers where the hackle will be are pointed like an spear head in males. The female neck feather tips are round, blunt.

This is awful news. : ( Raised these little boogers from babes and they ALL might be boys! What about the barred rock in pic #2?

If I assess the feathers, then photo #2 ,The barred rock ,does not have pointy neck feathers. this is a male? Trying to learn. Rather not have to have to learn because of the chaos though! Thank you guys!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom